Vermilion River stream bank stabilization project gets FEMA grant

Dec. 14, 2010
CHICAGO, IL, Dec. 14, 2010 -- FEMA has released $275,100 in Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) funds to stabilize the east bank of the Vermilion River...

CHICAGO, IL, Dec. 14, 2010 -- The U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) today released $275,100 in Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) funds to stabilize the east bank of the Vermilion River.

This project will fund the removal of channel debris, as well as the clearing and re-grading of the east riverbank. Gabion basket walls will be installed to stabilize the riverbank and help prevent future erosion. Ultimately, this project will protect 15 homes along the Vermilion River from the threat of collapse due to continued river erosion.

"The Hazard Mitigation Grant Program helps create safer communities by reducing risk and the loss of life and property," said Andrew Velasquez III, regional administrator, FEMA Region V. "This project will help protect the structural integrity of the residences along the Vermilion River."

HMGP provides grants to state and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures. Through HMGP, FEMA will pay 75 percent of this $366,800 project. The remaining 25 percent of the funds, $91,700, will be provided by the city of Streator.

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.


Sponsored Recommendations

SmartSights WIN-911 Alarm Notification Software Enables Faster Response

March 15, 2024
Alarm notification software enables faster response for customers, keeping production on track

Automated Fresh Water Treatment

March 15, 2024
SCADA, Automation and Control for Efficient and Compliant Operations

Digital Transformation Enables Smart Water

March 15, 2024
During this webinar we will discuss factors driving the transformation to digital water, water industry trends, followed by a summary of solutions (products & services) available...

Smart Water Solutions: Transforming the Water Universe

March 15, 2024
Water is our most valuable resource, and efficient and effective water and wastewater handling is crucial for municipalities. As industry experts, you face a number of challenges...