CDM selected to design-build Delta water supply project

Oct. 3, 2007
The city of Stockton has selected CDM for the landmark Delta water supply design-build project, which will integrate the city's surface water and groundwater management efforts and develop a supplemental water supply for the Stockton metropolitan area. The approximately $200 million project includes a new intake on the San Joaquin River; more than 13 miles of a new 54-inch diameter pipeline to transport the water to a new 30-million-gallon-per-day (mgd) treatment plant, which includes...

STOCKTON, CA, Sept. 28, 2007 -- The city of Stockton has selected CDM for the landmark Delta water supply design-build project, which will integrate the city's surface water and groundwater management efforts and develop a supplemental water supply for the Stockton metropolitan area.

The approximately $200 million project includes a new intake on the San Joaquin River; more than 13 miles of a new 54-inch diameter pipeline to transport the water to a new 30-million-gallon-per-day (mgd) treatment plant, which includes a treated water reservoir and pump station; and 7 miles of 36- and 42-inch diameter pipelines to deliver treated water to the city's distribution system. CDM is responsible for all of the facilities except the intake, which is being procured separately using a design-bid-build approach.

In a staged design-build project, CDM will first complete a preliminary design of the pipelines and water treatment facilities, and develop a cost proposal for final design and construction. Upon approval by the city, CDM's contract then will be amended to include final design and construction of the facilities. Construction is scheduled to begin in Oct. 2008, and the facilities will be in service 2 years later. Approximately one third of Stockton's water needs will be met by this new facility. Ultimately, by 2050, capacity could be expanded to 160 mgd. One of the first activities in Stage 1 is for the city and CDM to select the treatment process that will be used at the new plant. Both granular media and membrane filtration are under consideration. Ozone and granular activated carbon facilities are also being evaluated.

Currently, Stockton residents and businesses get about 60 percent of their water from nearby reservoirs, with the remaining 40 percent coming from underground wells. The project will help replace declining and unreliable surface water supplies, protect and restore groundwater resources, and provide adequate water supply to accommodate planned growth.

CDM is a consulting, engineering, construction, and operations firm delivering exceptional service to public and private clients worldwide.

###

Sponsored Recommendations

SmartSights WIN-911 Alarm Notification Software Enables Faster Response

March 15, 2024
Alarm notification software enables faster response for customers, keeping production on track

Automated Fresh Water Treatment

March 15, 2024
SCADA, Automation and Control for Efficient and Compliant Operations

Digital Transformation Enables Smart Water

March 15, 2024
During this webinar we will discuss factors driving the transformation to digital water, water industry trends, followed by a summary of solutions (products & services) available...

Automation for Water Treatment and Distribution Systems

Jan. 31, 2024
Dependable, Flexible Control Solutions to Maximize Productivity