Nov. 17, 2003 -- The RSPB/CIWEM Living Wetlands Award was established in 2003 as a means of recognizing and rewarding projects which demonstrate the multiple functions and sustainable use of wetland habitats.
Funds for the Award are provided by the Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management (CIWEM) and the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB).
The 2003 Award was won by the Swale and Ure Washlands Project.
Entries may relate to UK projects at the planning, design, in-work or completed stages, however special attention will be paid to projects that can demonstrate appreciable delivery of the priorities listed below.
To be eligible for the award, projects must:
• contribute to the delivery of priority UK Biodiversity Action Plan (BAP) species and habitat targets for freshwater wetlands
• deliver multiple benefits e.g. flood alleviation, wastewater treatment, recreation, eco-tourism, water resource security
• ensure no priority BAP species or habitats are harmed by the project
In addition, projects could:
• incorporate active community involvement
• contribute to increases in numbers of breeding wading birds (e.g. redshank, snipe, lapwing) and/or other threatened wetland species
• contribute to restoration of floodplain functions
Entries should be in the form of a succinct summary report, up to ten A4 pages in length including figures, tables and photographs.
There are two options for submission (Option (a) is preferable, for environmental reasons):
a) A hard copy of the submission can be sent to Helen Wilson at CIWEM, along with an electronic copy in MS Word format sent as an e-mail attachment (if the file size is under 1MB) to [email protected], or four individual copies sent on CD.
b) Four hard copies of the submission can be sent to Helen Wilson at CIWEM.
The Award consists of the Mance Memorial Trophy (a bronze snipe), a framed certificate and a cheque for £1,500, which should be used to fund the delivery of further UK Biodiversity Action Plan (BAP) targets, publicity of the project and/or related education.
The closing date for entries is Dec. 31, 2003. The winner will be announced at the CIWEM World Wetlands Day Conference 2004, which will be held in London on Feb. 3, 2004. The Award will be presented at the CIWEM Annual Dinner in London on April 22, 2004. The best submissions may be included in a subsequent publication.
To make an application, or for further information, please contact Helen Wilson at CIWEM:
Helen Wilson, CIWEM
15 John Street, London, UK, WC1N 2EB
Tel: 0207 831 3110; Fax: 0207 405 4967
E-mail: [email protected]