ARLINGTON, VA, Mar. 20, 2009) -- The Chlorine Institute Inc. (CI) now has available free of charge 19 technical pamphlets to help water, wastewater and swimming pool operators keep their facilities more safe and secure. All of these publications are downloadable in PDF format from CI's website.
The publications are being made available without charge as part of a major CI initiative to provide a vast majority of its technical publications free to key chlor-alkali industry stakeholders via CI's online bookstore.
"In an effort to promote safety stewardship within operations that use chlorine and related chemicals, CI has decided to provide free download access to pamphlets that previously were available only through sale," said CI President Arthur E. Dungan. "Nineteen of these pamphlets that are of particular interest to water treatment operators can be accessed today, and three more will be made available free by year's end."
The 19 titles of potential interest to water-treatment operators now available free are:
• The Chlorine Manual;
• Water and Wastewater Operators Chlorine Handbook;
• Recommendations for Using 100 and 150 Pound Chlorine Cylinders at Swimming Pools;
• Sodium Hypochlorite Manual;
• Recommended Practices for Handling Chlorine Bulk Highway Transports;
• Recommended Practices for Handling Chlorine Tank Cars;
• First Aid, Medical Management/Surveillance and Occupational Hygiene Monitoring Practices for Chlorine;
• Emergency Response Plans for Chlor-Alkali, Sodium Hypochlorite, and Hydrogen Chloride Facilities;
• Personal Protective Equipment for Chlor-Alkali Chemicals;
• Atmospheric Monitoring Equipment for Chlorine;
• Recommendations for Prevention of Personal Injuries for Chlorine Producer and User Facilities;
• Emergency Shut-Off Systems for Bulk Transfer of Chlorine;
• Piping Systems for Dry Chlorine;
• Chlorine Vaporizing Systems;
• Chlorine Pipelines;
• Chlorine Scrubbing Systems;
• Gaskets for Chlorine Service;
• Safe Handling of Chlorine Containing Nitrogen Trichloride;
• Reactivity and Compatibility of Chlorine and Sodium Hydroxide with Various Materials.
These pamphlets and the others that currently are free may be found by visiting the Chlorine Institute website. Click on the "Bookstore" button on the left side of the home page; then from the drop-down menu, click on "Free Safety Pamphlets." Take a short survey to access a complete list of the free publications, which contains links to downloadable PDF versions.
"Data gathered from this survey will help CI determine the success of providing free safety information to key stakeholders throughout the chlor-alkali industry," Dungan said. "We do not use the information otherwise and will not contact those who download free publications.
"CI exists to support the chlor-alkali industry and serve the public by fostering continuous improvements to safety and the protection of human health and the environment connected with the production, distribution and use of chlorine and related products. Our members dedicate their time and expertise to defining optimal operational procedures as reflected in our publications. Making as many of them as possible free to the public reflects our industry's ongoing commitment to safe, secure chlor-alkali handling operations," he added.
The Chlorine Institute Inc. (CI) is a 220-member, not-for-profit trade association of chlor-alkali producers worldwide, as well as packagers, distributors, users and suppliers. The Arlington, Va.-based institute's mission is the promotion of safety and the protection of human health and the environment in the manufacture, distribution and use of chlorine, sodium hydroxide, potassium hydroxide and sodium hypochlorite, plus the distribution and use of hydrogen chloride.