WaterBriefs: Russian Federation approves FCI flowmeters, switches for hazardous use
Also in this report: Siemens filter unit goes to Belgian chemical maker; Foster Wheeler wins Dutch boiler deal; DuPont chooses ChemPoint to distribute cleaner, descalant; Water Master taps GE consumer finance; Hansen grabs Aussie asset management solution; Novazone names CEO; RJN Group wins St. Louis sewer district extension; Verano buys e-DMZ Security; Vactor makes 10,000th unit; Army-Navy provides potable water to Indians; Actuate software aids Cincinnati sewer district; Baker CEO to leave...
In other news below:
-- Siemens Water supplies water filter system for Belgian chemical maker
-- Foster Wheeler wins CFB boiler contract in The Netherlands
-- DuPont chooses ChemPoint.com as national distributor for cleaner, descalant
-- GE Money tapped by Water Master for consumer financing program
-- Pittcon announces 2007 award symposia
-- ThermoEnergy appoints ARC Associates to take lead in London financing
-- Hansen acquires leading advanced asset management solution from Australia
-- Novazone names David Cope president, CEO
-- Spheric Technologies names Cherian applied research director
-- RJN Group wins amendment to major contract by St. Louis Metropolitan Sewer District
-- Verano acquires e-DMZ Managed Security Service
-- Vactor Manufacturing produces 10,000th unit
-- Grundfos' releases first Sustainability Report
-- Army-Navy provides potable water to drought stricken Makah Indian Reservation
-- Actuate software enhances performance for Cincinnati sewer district
-- Baker president and CEO Fusilli to leave company
-- GenTek Inc. to acquire assets of GAC MidAmerica Inc.
-- URS awarded contract to provide water management in West
SAN MARCOS, CA, Sept. 13, 2006 -- Fluid Components International (FCI) has received full certification from the Russian Federation to import its rugged, precision mass flow meters and mass flow/level/temperature switches into the Russian Federation.
FCI's manufacturing and calibration facilities have been inspected and approved for GOST R applications (GOST Russian Certification of Conformity). They have been found to be fully in compliance with Russian standards, resulting in the GOST R approval for the MT Series, GF Series and the ST98 Series thermal mass flow meters. From the Gosgortekhnadzor Russia, also called RTN (formerly GGTN R), FCI's flow meters and flow switches have been approved for use in hazardous areas. With the their no-moving parts design, FCI's flow instruments have a global reputation for precision performance with high reliability and safety in hazardous industries, including oil/gas, chemical, electric power, pulp/paper, steel, wastewater and many others.
Both the GOST R and the RTN approvals are required for importing flow instruments and their use in hazardous areas of the Russian Federation. These approvals are also well recognized and accepted in other countries in the same region, such as Republic of Kazahstan, Ukraine Republic and Republic of Tartarstan.
The process of obtaining the Russian approvals was initiated and supported by FCI's manufacturers' distributor, Promtex ZAO, operating from Moscow and responsible for FCI sales and service in this region. The firm maintains a well-trained staff, which offers technical expertise in flow measurement and switching instruments.
Flow meters from FCI are available with either thermal dispersion or Coriolis mass flow sensors. FCI's advanced flow meters combine precision flow measurement accuracy with a rugged design that is compatible with caustic, corrosive, humid and high temperature environments. They are highly reliable, easy to install, require virtually no maintenance and are designed for long-life.
FCI flow switches feature an advanced no-moving parts thermal dispersion flow sensor that makes them ideal for a wide range of point-level applications. Their versatile
design also allows them to measure flow or level or temperature. The company's NuTec® flow switch is designed with a unique non-contacting flow element that completely separates the sensor from the process media, which makes it ideal in sanitary flow processes common to the food/beverage and pharmaceutical industries.
FCI calibrates its own flow instruments and operates one of the industry's leading flow calibration laboratories. All laboratory equipment is National Institute of Standards (NIST) traceable, as well as certified to ISO 9001:2000 and AS9000 compliant. The laboratory also meets MIL-STD-45662A and ANSI/NCSL-Z-540 requirements.
For more than 40 years, FCI has been a pioneer in the development of thermal dispersion sensors and more recently Coriolis sensors for direct mass flow measurement in a variety of media. The company's advanced technologies include mechanical design, advanced materials, metallurgy, electronics, communications and more.
Based in San Marcos, CA, Fluid Components International (www.fluidcomponents.com) is a global company committed to meeting the needs of its customers through innovative solutions to the most challenging requirements for sensing, measuring and controlling flow and level of air, gases and liquids.
Among other recent headlines:
• Siemens Water supplies water filter system for Belgian chemical maker -- WARRENDALE, PA, Sept. 13, 2006 -- The Siemens Industrial Solutions and Services (I&S) Group has received an order from the company Kaneka Belgium N.V., a subsidiary of the Japanese Kaneka Corp., to treat water from a canal with the help of membrane filters. The water is then to be used for the company's production process. Siemens Belgium will deliver and start up the equipment by December 2006. Kaneka Belgium, a chemical company located in Oevel, Belgium, manufactures impact modifiers for PVC as well as polyolefin foams, elastic sealant base polymer and elastic adhesive base polymer. KB is actually using well water to produce process and demineralized water, which generates a considerable amount of wastewater. So instead of pumping more well water and increasing the capacity of the treatment system, Kaneka Belgium decided for a microfiltration annex reverse osmoses system on canal water...
Also see: "Illinois American Water seeks removal of radium in small community well"
• Foster Wheeler wins CFB boiler contract in The Netherlands -- HAMILTON, Bermuda, Sep. 13, 2006 -- Foster Wheeler Ltd. announced today that its German and Dutch subsidiaries, Foster Wheeler Energie GmbH and Foster Wheeler Europe B.V., which are both part of its Global Power Group, have been awarded a turnkey contract to design, supply and erect a circulating fluidized-bed (CFB) boiler island for NV Huisvuilcentrale Noord-Holland's new biomass power station to be built at its existing waste incineration plant in the town of Alkmaar in The Netherlands. The contract, valued at approximately $29.5 million (EUR 23 million), will be included in the company's third-quarter bookings. The contract includes the design and supply of the 71 megawatt thermal CFB boiler, auxiliary equipment, feedwater system, instrumentation and control system, boiler house steel construction, plus erection and commissioning services...
• DuPont Chemical Solutions Enterprise chooses ChemPoint.com as national distributor -- Website to sell major cleaning, descaling product -- WILMINGTON, DE, Sept. 13, 2006 -- DuPont Chemical Solutions Enterprise announced today that ChemPoint will become a national distributor for one of its major cleaning and descaling products, Glycolic Acid 70% Technical Grade. Glycolic Acid (also known as hydroxyacetic acid) Technical Grade is an effective cleaning and descaling agent used in household and industrial cleaning solutions and surface preparation for painting and plating. Glycolic Acid is part of a growing product selection available through ChemPoint, which also distributes Tyzor Titanates and DryFilms Dispersions...
-- "DuPont manager appointed to Biomass Committee"
-- "DuPont introduces innovative technology to enable next generation advancements in air, liquid filtration: Hybrid membrane technology represents first breakthrough offering from DuPont Separations Solutions"
• GE Money tapped by Water Master for consumer financing program -- AquaVantage card available at 230 Water Master dealers -- ST. PAUL, MN, Sept. 13, 2006 -- GE Money's Retail Sales Finance unit today announced a multi-year agreement with Water Master, Inc., an international leader in residential, commercial and industrial water treatment and filtration systems, to provide consumer financing program for its 230 dealers nationwide. Beginning this month, the GE Money AquaVantage card will be available to Water Master customers for the purchase of home water treatment systems and accessories. Through the AquaVantage program, participating dealers will be able to help customers complete an easy application and quick approval process and extend competitive rates and promotional terms like deferred interest...
• Pittcon announces 2007 award symposia -- PITTSBURGH, PA, Sept. 13, 2006 -- The Pittsburgh Conference (Pittconn) announced today the recipients of 12 prestigious annual awards that recognize the significant contributions of leaders in the fields of analytical chemistry and applied spectroscopy. The awards will be presented at Pittcon, Feb. 25-March 2, 2007, at Chicago's McCormick Place. Each award is presented during a symposium honoring the recipient and his/her achievements. The awardees represent diverse scientific disciplines including separations science, bioanalytical science, vibrational spectroscopy, chromatography, electrochemistry, microfluidics, and sensors...
• ThermoEnergy appoints ARC Associates to take lead in London financing -- LITTLE ROCK, AR, Sept. 13, 2006 -- ThermoEnergy Corp. today entered into an engagement letter with ARC Associates, a London, UK-based investment banking firm. The agreement anticipates that ARC will assist ThermoEnergy in raising funds in the UK and Europe over the next 24 months to enable ThermoEnergy to build additional ammonia recovery projects (ARP) for municipal and commercial wastewater clients, and for the possible strategic acquisition of another company. Management expects the financing arrangements to assume a variety of forms, including debt, equity and/or convertible debt instruments...
• Hansen acquires leading advanced asset management solution from Australia -- Announces Peter Pagonis as new director of Asset Business Unit -- RANCHO CORDOVA, CA, Sept. 13, 2006 -- Hansen Information Technologies, a leading provider of software applications for the public sector market, today announced the acquisition of Australia's leading advanced asset management product -- a product designed in accordance with the 2006 Edition of the International Infrastructure Management Manual (IIMM). The new module will expand Hansen's leading enterprise asset management suite to provide real-time infrastructure decision support, predictive modeling, and optimized renewal analysis for long-range capital planning of public sector assets. Along with this significant product acquisition, Hansen also announced the promotion of Peter Pagonis as director of Hansen's Asset Business Unit. Prior to his new position, Peter was Operations Manager for Hansen International Australasia, Pty Ltd, where he was responsible for over 40 asset management projects, including Melbourne Water Corp., Yarra Valley Water, cities of Adelaide, Geelong, Westrail, and Perth...
• Novazone names David Cope president, CEO -- Strategic appointment positions clean technology company for rapid growth -- LIVERMORE, CA, Sept. 13, 2006 -- Novazone, the leading provider of clean technology solutions for food and water including advanced, ozone-based applications, announced today the appointment of David Cope to the position of president and chief executive officer, effective immediately. Previously, He held the company's chief marketing officer position, and succeeds Paul White. With more than 25 years of engineering, sales, marketing and executive management experience for high profile technology businesses, Cope joined Novazone in 2004. Previously, he was president and CEO of BizGenics, and held a variety of posts at Extricity, Marimba, Illustra and IBM...
Also see: "Megola Inc. extends relationship with Dalian Bingshan H2O3 Environmental Solutions Co. Ltd."
• Spheric Technologies names Cherian applied research director -- PHOENIX, AZ, Sept. 13, 2006 -- Spheric Technologies Inc., marketer of patented microwave metal processing systems, and producer of advanced ceramic powders and metal oxides, announced it has hired Kuruvilla "Karl" Cherian, Ph.D., as director of applied research. Dr. Cherian is an expert in industrial materials processing using microwave and other forms of electromagnetic radiation. Dr. Cherian most recently was senior materials scientist at Dana Corp.'s Microwave Technologies Division. Spheric is preparing to market patented microwave sintering systems for the powdered metals and advanced ceramics industries, and is developing microwave treatment systems for the mining and wastewater industries...
• RJN Group wins amendment to major contract by St. Louis Metropolitan Sewer District -- WHEATON, IL, Sept. 12, 2006 -- The St. Louis Metropolitan Sewer District (MSD) has retained RJN Group Inc. to perform Combined Sewer Inflow/Infiltration Service Area Investigations in St. Louis and St. Louis County, MO. The project entails investigating, identifying, quantifying, and recommending improvements or rehabilitation techniques to eliminate or reduce rainfall dependant I/I within the sanitary and combined sewer systems. As one of several projects encompassing the St. Louis MSD Capital Improvement and Replacement Program that will provide the basis for design and construction for many years to come, the project began in July 2003 and will continue through December 2007...
• Verano acquires e-DMZ Managed Security Service -- Verano launches Industrial Defender Co-Managed Security for real-time control environments -- MANSFIELD, MA, Sept. 12, 2006 -- Verano Inc., the SCADA security company, today announced the acquisition of the Managed Security Services Division of e-DMZ Security LLC. As a result of this acquisition, Verano is launching Industrial Defender Co-Managed Security, the markets only co-managed security service for the real-time SCADA and control environment. Industrial Defender Co-Managed Security is the latest component of Verano's full security life-cycle solution for real-time SCADA and control environment, which also includes SCADA security professional services, through Plant Data Technologies, Inc., and technology deployment with Verano's Industrial Defender...
Also see: "Plantdata Technologies leads industry with over 50 SCADA security assessments"
• Vactor Manufacturing produces 10,000th unit -- Continues commitment to innovation in sewer cleaning. -- STREATOR, IL, Sept. 12, 2006 -- Vactor Manufacturing, the leading maker of sewer and catch-basin cleaners, this month produced its 10,000th sewer cleaning truck, a milestone unmatched in the industry. Currently manufactured in Streator, IL, Vactor® sewer cleaners have been a preferred brand for most municipalities and public works departments since the product's inception in 1964, according to Mark Weber, president of Federal Signal Environmental Products Group, parent of Vactor...
Also see: "Vactor to distribute ENZ nozzles through dealer network"
• Grundfos' releases first Sustainability Report -- BJERRINGBRO, Denmark, Sept. 12, 2006 -- There is action behind the words, when Grundfos talks of sustainable development. Group President Jens Jørgen Madsen explains that the aim of the report is to provide a broad insight into Group activites regarding social and ethical responsibility and its efforts to improve the environment in general...
• Army-Navy provides potable water to drought stricken Makah Indian Reservation -- NEAH BAY, WA, Sept. 12, 2006 -- The U.S. Army Tank Automotive Research Development and Engineering Center (TARDEC), the Department of Interior's Bureau of Reclamation (BoR) and the Office of Naval Research (ONR) have deployed a team of engineers along with one Expeditionary Unit Water Purifier (EUWP) to Neah Bay where the Makah Indian reservation has nearly run dry. The diesel-powered desalination system will turn seawater into drinking water for the reservation's 18,000 residents. An Army-Navy water purification unit arrived at the Makah Indian reservation yesterday which will supply 100,000 gallons of potable water per day to the tribe. The reservation has been on a water restriction since they declared an emergency on Aug. 29. The Indian Health Service contacted Army after learning of TARDEC's role during the Hurricane Katrina relief effort...
• Actuate software enhances performance for Cincinnati sewer district -- Metropolitan Sewer District of Greater Cincinnati becomes latest wastewater organization to drive performance improvement, demonstrate accountability and optimize core business activities with Actuate Performancesoft Views -- SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, CA, Sept. 12, 2006 -- Performancesoft Inc., a division of Actuate Corp., and a leading provider of Performance Management solutions, announced today that The Metropolitan Sewer District of Greater Cincinnati (MSD) has selected Actuate Performancesoft Views to enhance its Performance Management initiative. MSD serves the wastewater removal and treatment needs of over 800,000 customers in Hamilton County, OH. Looking to establish performance measures to support overall performance improvement, as well as to demonstrate accountability to stakeholders and ratepayers, MSD, a recipient of the National Association of Clean Water Agencies' Excellence in Management Award, will use Views to identify, integrate and report key performance information to evaluate and optimize its core business activities...
Also see: "St. Regis Paper selects Actuate Performancesoft Views for corporate-wide performance management"
• Baker president and CEO Fusilli to leave company -- Board Chairman Shaw named interim CEO -- PITTSBURGH, Sept. 12, 2006 -- Michael Baker Corp. announced that Donald P. Fusilli, Jr., president and chief executive officer, is leaving the company effective today. He'll continue to support the company, as required, in a consulting role for the energy segment. At the request of the board of directors, Richard L. Shaw, current chairman, will assume the additional position of CEO on an interim basis. A committee of external board members has been appointed to conduct an internal and external search for a permanent successor to Fusilli...
Also see: "Michael Baker Corp. deploys Captara for complete enterprise lease management"
• GenTek Inc. to acquire assets of GAC MidAmerica Inc. -- PARSIPPANY, NJ, Sept. 12, 2006--GenTek Inc. announced Sept. 8 that it has executed a purchase agreement to acquire the assets of GAC MidAmerica, Inc., a producer of aluminum sulfate and bleach. The company, which also distributes specialty water treatment chemicals, sulfuric acid and caustic soda, has three manufacturing facilities located in Toledo, OH, Indianapolis, IN, and Saukville, WI. Aluminum sulfate is used for treating water and wastewater. The purchase price of the transaction is $7.8 million, before any working capital adjustment. This transaction will be funded from GenTek operating cash and is expected to close by the end of the September...
Also see: "GenTek Inc. announces senior management changes"
• URS awarded contract to provide water management in Far West -- SAN FRANCISCO, Sept. 12, 2006 -- URS Corp. announced Aug. 28 it has been awarded an indefinite delivery/indefinite quantity contract by the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation (USBR) to provide water management for the Bureau's Mid-Pacific Region, which includes Northern and Central California, Central Nevada, and a small part of Southern Oregon. The contract covers a wide scope of services, such as support for water resources projects associated with the California Bay-Delta and flood control for California's Central Valley. Service areas include: NEPA/CEQA compliance, water availability studies, water quality, natural resources planning, economic studies, water rights support, endangered species and cultural resources assessments, and Native American affairs. Engineering support services may be provided for water storage, treatment systems, or hydroelectric power facilities...
Also see: "URS names Sam Ramraj vice president of investor relations"