SINGAPORE, June 28, 2010 - Black & Veatch signed a major surface water drainage and wastewater treatment contract with the Hue City Water Environment Improvement Project Management Unit on 31 March 2010. Leaders from the Thua Thien Hue Province People's Committee and other local government officials attended the Project Commencement Ceremony held on Friday, 25 June 2010. Representatives from the Embassy of the United States in Vietnam were also present. The consortium partners of Black & Veatch are Nihon Suiko Sekkei (NSS) and Vietnam Water Sanitation and Environment JSC (VIWASE).
This project is funded by the Japanese International Cooperation Agency (JICA). The implementation period of the project is eight years with the following criteria:
- Strengthening of drainage capacity, mitigation of natural disasters caused by flooding in Hue City and collection and treatment of wastewater;
- Enhancement of water quality of the Huong River and other rivers in Hue City;
- Construction of the Works using high quality materials and processes;
- Improvement of living conditions and environmental sanitation;
- Creation of favourable conditions to promote economic development in Hue City;
- Preservation of historical monuments to help ensure the city's World Heritage Centre status.
Hue City is the ancient capital of Vietnam. The city is a cultural and tourism centre with many historical monuments and is recognized by UNESCO as a World Heritage Centre (the Complex of Hue Monuments).
The Hue City Environment and Water Improvement Project will help protect the water resources of the country from the threat of contamination and mitigate damage caused by flooding. Vietnam, in general, and Hue City, in particular, currently continue to experience rapid economic growth and urbanisation.
Black & Veatch will lead a consortium of partners to implement the consulting services for the Project including Phase 1, and the study and design for Phase 2 (by 2020). Upon completion of Phase 1, a wastewater treatment plant with a capacity of 20,000 cubic meters per day, flood control facilities and drainage systems will service residents and businesses. In addition, Black & Veatch and the project partners will work with the Project Management Unit and other public bodies to ensure the development and delivery of a HIV/AIDS Prevention Program with workers on site, Water Awareness Raising and Educational Campaign, and Environmental Management and Monitoring Plan.
- Black & Veatch has been providing vital water and energy infrastructure in Vietnam for more than 20 years. Since 1989, the company has completed 23 water-related projects in Vietnam and has an additional seven water projects underway. The company's energy business has also completed five consulting service projects and one engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) project. These efforts are helping enhance the quality of life for Vietnam residents through clean and highly efficient energy generation and reliable energy delivery, as well as greatly improved water quality and infrastructure that will ensure future generations in the country have access to clean water.
- Black & Veatch is currently providing water consulting services for a water infrastructure project that will directly benefit 114,000 households of eight towns in the five provinces of the Central Region of Vietnam. The towns include Phan Thiet, Gia Nghia, Cam Ranh, Ninh Hoa, Ca Na, Thap Cham, Song Cau and Tuy Hoa.
- As well as providing design services, Black & Veatch is currently supervising the construction of the Central Region Urban Environmental Improvement Project. This project is improving drainage, sanitation and solid waste facilities in six other towns in the Central Region of Vietnam. It will improve living conditions for 600,000 people in Dong Ha, Ha Tinh, Lang Co, Quang Ngai, Tam Ky and Thanh Hoa.
- In the Southern Region, Black & Veatch is assisting the government in designing and constructing two major irrigation systems to help improve water quality and supply domestic, municipal and industrial water to provinces surrounding Ho Chi Minh City. The project will directly benefit approximately 140,000 people.
- The company also is serving as owner's engineer for the dual fuel conversion of the Hiep Phuoc 375-megawatt power plant to enable utilization of natural gas as well as heavy oil for generation fuel. The conversion of the plant near Ho Chi Minh City provides flexibility of generation fuels for reliable and low-cost electric power to industrial and residential customers.
- Black & Veatch is also managing and supervising the Danang Priority Infrastructure Investment Project, funded by the World Bank. The project will improve sanitation and wastewater infrastructure, and reduce pollution in water ways. In addition, the project will improve flood prevention measures for communities in low-lying areas as well as essential roadways. Nearly 800,000 people who reside in Danang, Vietnam, will enjoy an enhanced quality of life by 2013.
- Black & Veatch was also involved in the design and construction of drainage and wastewater infrastructure that will help protect the Ha Long Bay in the Northern Region. The Ha Long Bay is a United Nations Education Scientific and Cultural Organization world heritage site and popular tourist location.
- Black & Veatch recently completed an EPC project for a 110-kilovolt substation and supporting transmission lines that now provides reliable energy delivery for a major computer chip manufacturing plant in the Saigon Hi-Tech Park. These substation facilities were successfully energized in April. In addition, this EPC project resulted in the company being awarded a Safety Excellence Award by the Vietnamese Government for implementing exceptional safety procedures and training.
- Black & Veatch also served as technical adviser for phase one of the Kien Luong 1,200-megawatt supercritical coal generation project. This project will eventually supply more than 7,200 gigawatts per year to meet the electric demand load of the Southern Region.
- The plans that are referred to include the "National Socio-Economic Development Plan (SEDP) 2006-2010," "Ten-Year National Environment Protection Strategy (NSEP) 2001-2010" and "National Orientation on Drainage Development in Urban Areas 2020 (Decision 35/1999)."
- Black & Veatch is also an original founding sponsor of Singapore International Water Week and is involved in a number of activities during SIWW 2010. Black & Veatch has been involved in the development of Singapore water supply systems since 1922.
About Black & Veatch
Black & Veatch Corporation is a leading global engineering, consulting and construction company with the mission of 'Building a World of Difference(R).' By advancing the frontiers of knowledge, we provide our clients with reliable solutions to their most complex challenges, thereby helping improve and sustain the quality of life around the world. Founded in 1915, Black & Veatch specializes in infrastructure development in energy, water, telecommunications, federal, management consulting and environmental markets. We offer leading experience in the market segments we serve, understanding our clients' businesses and objectives, and having the financial resources sufficient to execute and sustain projects from the most basic to the very complex. Our employee-owned company has more than 100 offices worldwide. Black & Veatch is ranked on the Forbes "500 Largest Private Companies in the United States" listing. The company's web site address is www.bv.com.