Malaysian firm wins Zimbabwe water project

The Zimbabwean government awarded a US$ 600-million water supply project to a joint-venture company formed by a Malaysian firm and the Matabeleland Zambeki Water Authority.

The Zimbabwean government awarded a US$ 600-million water supply project to a joint-venture company formed by a Malaysian firm and the Matabeleland Zambeki Water Authority.

Malaysian Science, Technology and Innovation Minister Datuk Dr. Jamaludin Mohd Jarjis, reported that the Malaysian partner has an 80% stake in the joint venture, with the Matabeleland Zambeki Water Authority holding the remaining 20%. "The full details of the deal will be announced at a signing ceremony which will be witnessed by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi and President Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe," he said ahead of the opening on 28 July of the latest Langkawi International Dialogue. "This dialogue has matured into a platform that enables Malaysia to take part in new and emerging businesses in the African continent. Malaysian corporate giants which have achieved success domestically must up the challenge of becoming global players," he explained. Jamaludin said Malaysia must also capitalise on the business match-making prospects offered by Swaziland.

More in International