Ajman Sheik funds UAE sewerage project

His Highness Sheikh Humaid bin Rashid Al Nuaimi, Member of the Supreme Council and Ruler of Ajman, allocated US$ 20 million from his own funds for the US$ 140-million Ajman sewerage project...

His Highness Sheikh Humaid bin Rashid Al Nuaimi, Member of the Supreme Council and Ruler of Ajman, allocated US$ 20 million from his own funds for the US$ 140-million Ajman sewerage project, and announced a 25% discount on connection and registration fees to help Ajman residents afford the sewerage system.

The reduced registration fees apply to all property owners who have registered and those who are required to register until the end of October 2003. "With the reduced rates, connection fees in Ajman are now lower than other emirates," said Eryle Edwards, an Ajman sewerage company official.

Ajman is forming a committee to look into the financial background of property owners of limited income who receive financial government support.

Those owners who are not financially strong enough to pay the full fee may be given a 50% discount or even free connection.

So far, 30 per cent of property owners have registered to benefit from the sewage system. Some property owners have disputed the policy, complaining that the registration fee is too high.

Work at the treatment plant is ahead of schedule. Over 60% of landowners will be connected to the sewage system before the end of 2004 and the remaining 40% will be connected in the final 18 months of project development.

The system will drain sewage through pipes from every property to minimise environmental and health risks, prevent groundwater pollution and limit damage to building foundations. Wastewater will be treated and recycled for landscaping.

More in Drinking Water