CH2M Hill employees make record-setting donation to Water For People
CH2M Hill employees around the world have raised more than $170,000 in employee contributions to help Water For People, an international nonprofit that helps people in developing countries by supporting locally sustainable drinking water resources and sanitation facilities. Not only did employee donations well exceed the initial $100,000 goal for the firm's sixth annual campaign, but the workplace giving campaign was the most successful in Water For People's history...
DENVER, June 30, 2008 -- Setting a record for success, CH2M Hill employees around the world have raised more than $170,000 in employee contributions to help Water For People, an international nonprofit that helps people in developing countries by supporting locally sustainable drinking water resources, sanitation facilities, and health and hygiene education programs.
Not only did employee donations well exceed the initial $100,000 goal for the firm's sixth annual campaign, but the workplace giving campaign was the most successful in Water For People's history.
Together with cash and in-kind contributions, CH2M Hill and its employees committed more than $220,000 to advance Water For People's work and support its 2008 fundraising efforts. Since Water For People needs just $29 to provide clean water or sanitation services for a person's lifetime, that equates to helping more than 7,500 people worldwide.
"We are incredibly grateful to CH2M Hill employees who donated money and personal time to raise a record-setting amount," says Nancy Stewart, director of resource development and education for Denver-based Water For People. "It's amazing the power one person can have to make a difference in so many lives. CH2M Hill employees prove that every year when they consolidate their giving with company support in a true culture of corporate responsibility. It helps people in the poorest of countries as they struggle for the basic rights of clean water, adequate sanitation and hygiene education."
CH2M Hill employees gathered at the company's headquarters last week to celebrate the campaign. On behalf of all employees, Elisa Speranza, president of CH2M Hill OMI, presented a commemorative check to Water For People board member Steve Pearlman, director of environmental services for the Metro Wastewater Reclamation District in Denver.
More than 100 CH2M Hill offices and project sites worldwide contributed to the campaign from across the U.S., Canada and cities such as Buenos Aires, Sydney, Shanghai, Glasgow and Dubai. In addition to donating cash or through ongoing payroll deductions, CH2M Hill employees volunteered to raise money in several creative ways, including:
• In Tampa, Fla., employees worked with local bakeries to donate elaborate cakes that were auctioned off to employees by the slice to raise funds.
• In Milton, Ga., employees donated new and gently used items for a rummage sale, raising more than $300.
• In Honolulu, employees kicked off a week of activities with a speaker who has experience working with Water For People. His talk inspired many people to donate for the first time, raising $2,000.
• In Parsippany, N.J, employees held a live auction, raising more than $1,600. They donated items including handmade jewelry, fishing gear, marble coasters and books.
• In Portland, Ore., employees sold reusable water bottles for $29 -- "one bottle for one life" -- among other activities. Their goal was to raise $5,000; they raised $12,000.
• In Singapore, employees held a lunchtime carnival, sponsored games and showed a Water For People educational video, spurring more than $14,000 in donations.
• In Calgary, a "Taste of CH2M Hill" event raised $530. Employees brought food representing many countries and cultures, and the $5 entry fee was donated to Water For People.
"These activities and dozens of others show the determination, problem-solving abilities, and inventiveness of CH2M Hill people to rise up and meet a challenge -- and their commitment to improving, transforming and saving people's lives," says Bob Bailey, president of CH2M Hill's Water Business Group and co-chair of the firm's 2008 giving campaign, along with Speranza. "Having access to clean tap water and safe sanitation systems is a basic necessity that so many of us take for granted, but millions of people worldwide don't have these services. We're proud to continue helping Water For People eliminate that gap."
CH2M Hill has been a Water For People corporate partner since 1991, when Ken Miller, a now-retired CH2M Hill executive, helped found the organization along with other professionals from the American Water Works Association. Last year, the company committed more than $150,000 in cash and in-kind contributions to Water For People, including $92,000 from employees. Speranza serves as Water For People's vice president, and CH2M Hill's Tony Petrucci is president of Water For People-Canada. Many other employees serve on local committees.
From water reclamation to desalination to more efficient water treatment, CH2M Hill's Water Business Group designs, builds, engineers and delivers water projects and water technologies that are cost-effective, innovative and timely.
Through CH2M Hill OMI, the company provides a range of custom-tailored operations and maintenance solutions, including water and wastewater system optimization; consulting; and contract O&M of water, wastewater and other utilities.