WASD selects program manager for comprehensive water distribution overhaul
The Miami-Dade Water and Sewer Department system has selected engineering firm Lockwood, Andrews & Newnam as program management consultant for its comprehensive water infrastructure and assessment program.
|WASD Selects LAN as Program Manager for Comprehensive Water Infrastructure Assessment and Replacement Program|
MIAMI, FL, Oct. 10, 2014 -- The Miami-Dade Water and Sewer Department (WASD) system has selected engineering firm Lockwood, Andrews & Newnam, Inc. (LAN) as program management consultant for its comprehensive water infrastructure and assessment program.
LAN, along with sub-consultants CDM Smith and Milian Swain and Associates, will devise and establish a comprehensive program to evaluate and rehabilitate Miami-Dade County's water transmission and distribution mains. As part of this three-year contract, LAN will provide the following services:
- Asset Inventory: Updating the County's inventory of more than 7,700 miles of water transmission and distribution mains of all diameter sizes
- Condition Assessment: Determining the condition of the water mains through observation, manned entry assessments and indirect monitoring
- Prioritization: Prioritizing water mains that need remediation based on technical, environmental and societal criteria
- Technical Support: Providing the County with technical support for the repairing/replacing/rehabilitating of the deteriorated water mains
- Valuation: Analyzing the water transmission and distribution mains using hydraulic modeling and geographic information system (GIS) data
"By proactively identifying and rehabilitating the most critical areas of the County's infrastructure, we will be able to provide better service to our residents and businesses while preventing costly system failures and service disruptions," said Luis Aguiar, assistant director of Water System Operations for WASD.
WASD is the largest water utility in the Southeast United States and the seventh largest in the country, serving more than 420,000 retail customers and 15 municipal wholesale customers.