City of Toledo to adopt new biosolids recycling program to improve Lake Erie water quality
Synagro Technologies recently announced details of a five-year biosolids recycling program in the city of Toledo, Ohio, that will improve water quality in the Lake Erie watershed by reducing the use of commercial chemical fertilizer.
TOLEDO, OHIO, Dec. 19, 2014 -- Synagro Technologies, the nation's largest recycler of organic residuals, recently announced details of a five-year biosolids recycling program in the city of Toledo, Ohio, that will improve water quality in the Lake Erie watershed by reducing the use of commercial chemical fertilizer.
Highlights and benefits of the biosolids recycling plan include the following:
- Toledo's biosolids will be used as a natural fertilizer on farmland, eliminating the need for more than 400 tons of chemical fertilizer, which has greater potential of runoff to rivers, lakes and streams.
- The use of biosolids as fertilizer will reduce the potential for phosphorus runoff to waterways by 98 percent.
- The fertilizer will benefit local farmers by avoidance of costs of commercial chemical fertilizer at a rate of $100 per acre of farmland.
- There will be an improvement of water quality through an ongoing, proactive nutrient management program on farm sites.
- Full compliance with Ohio's rigorous environmental regulations will occur regarding biosolids application and nutrient management.
- A savings for taxpayers of more than $900,000 per year versus landfill disposal of the biosolids will also take place.
As part of the biosolids recycling program, Synagro will have a qualified agronomist/certified crop advisor on staff to work with the farming community, engaging with farmers by soil sampling, sharing best practices on nutrient management and providing an organic alternative to commercial fertilizers.
Synagro's technical staff will also permit the land application sites, work with the operations teams to ensure placement of the biosolids using sustainable practices, and conduct public outreach meetings with the local farming communities and general public.
About Synagro Technologies
Founded in 1986 and based in Baltimore, Md., Synagro is the national leader in organic materials recycling, providing a system of solutions for civic and commercial organizations that manages by-products to create new, environmentally compelling options. The company's reliable, lasting system transforms industrial and municipal waste into environmentally sustainable resources that benefit our communities and our planet -- before an environmental footprint is left behind. As the largest recycler of organic by-products in the U.S., Synagro uses best-in-class processes from beneficial reuse to renewable energy that adhere to the strictest of environmental regulations to provide sustainable solutions for communities across the nation. For more information visit www.synagro.com.