Geomembrane Technologies Inc. takes part in UN climate change project
Geomembrane Technologies Inc. (GTI) has participated in a project that qualified for the carbon credit market under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC)...
Sep 1st, 2009
FREDERICTON, NB, Canada, Aug. 31, 2009 -- Geomembrane Technologies Inc. (GTI) has participated in a project that qualified for the carbon credit market under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
Environmental benefits of the project include:
• Reduction in Green House Gas (GHG) emissions,
• Conservation of groundwater resources,
• Prevention of contamination of groundwater sources, and
• Reduction in usage of non-renewable energy (such as fuel oil)
The project also realized social and economic benefits that included:
• Reduction in odors,
• Increase in employment (17 additional staff), and
• Availability of additional water source and soil conditioners to local farmers
• Reduction in the dependancy on fuel oil,
• Enhanced energy security by diversifying energy sources,
• Increased technical excellence and innovation,
• Initiating a Clean Technology Demonstration Project that can be replicated in other parts of the world, and
• Establishing a renewable energy and waste management sector
The estimation of emission reductions due to the GTI cover system over the carbon crediting period is over 540,000 tonnes of CO2e.
GTI has been actively working with organizations in both industrialized and developing nations to improve their environmental performance. The GTI cover systems are ideally suited for participation under the United Nations Carbon Credit program.
Since 1979 innovative designs have made Geomembrane Technologies (www.gticovers.com) one of the world's leading companies offering custom designed geomembrane covers. GTI designs, fabricates, installs and maintains complete cover systems for sites around the world. Projects include floating, modular, suspended, structurally supported, and gas handling systems for municipal and industrial wastewater treatment plants. GTI also offers potable water covers.