WaterBriefs: EPA proposes incentives for clean water permit fees
Also in this report: Godwin Pumps president honored; Neenah Paper water recovery touted on 'Modern Marvels'; Magal's DreamBox to safeguard water supply; Axion Control to distribute Labtronics' LimsLink; SonTek/YSI celebrates 15 years in San Diego with new building; CH2M Hill wins BE Award; Bentley assists Red Cross tsunami recovery; Ward Hill signs deal with FuelCell Energy; SkyWave completes field trials of integrated wireless controller; Winzler & Kelly expands into Portland, Ore...
In other news below:
-- Godwin Pumps' Paz named New Jersey Executive of the Year
Neenah Paper water recycling touted on History Channel's 'Modern Marvels'
Magal's DreamBox to safeguard water supply
Axion Control Systems to distribute Labtronics' LimsLink
SonTek/YSI celebrates 15 years in San Diego with new 'Center of Excellence'
CH2M Hill wins 2006 BE Award
Bentley assists American Red Cross tsunami recovery
Ward Hill Marketing signs agreement with FuelCell Energy
SkyWave successfully completes field trials of new D+/GPRS integrated wireless controller
Winzler & Kelly expands into Portland, Ore.
• EPA proposes incentives for clean water permit fees -- WASHINGTON, DC, Dec. 21, 2006 -- A proposed U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) rule would provide a financial incentive to states to use fees when running a clean water permit program. EPA's rule would allot up to 3% of state water pollution control grant funds to states that have adequate National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit fee programs. The increased cost of administering water permit programs has prompted some states to levy permit fees to cover shortfalls. Certain states, however, still operate with little or no reliance on permit fees. The proposed NPDES Permit Fee Incentive for Clean Water Act Section 106 Grants; Allotment Formula is designed to create financial incentives to prompt more states to implement adequate fee programs and shift part of the financial burden to those who benefit from the permits. It will also allow states to move funds to other critical water quality program activities. The proposed rule would not take effect until after Oct. 1, 2008. The proposed rulemaking includes a 60 day public comment period...
• Godwin Pumps leader honored with business award -- LONG BRANCH, NJ, Dec. 21, 2006 -- John Michael Paz, president of Godwin Pumps, was selected recently as "Executive of the Year" by NJ Biz. Chosen by a panel of distinguished New Jersey business leaders, Paz accepted his award at the NJ Biz Business of the Year 2006 Awards ceremony on Dec. 6 here. Last year, Paz received the Lifetime Achievement Award in Ernst & Young's Entrepreneur of the Year competition, and was inducted into the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Hall of Fame...
Also see: "Pumps Aid Sludge Handling at Yogurt and Juice Plant" (Industrial WaterWorld)
• Neenah Paper water recycling touted on History Channel's 'Modern Marvels' program -- ALPHARETTA, GA, Dec. 21, 2006 -- Neenah Paper, which pioneered development of premium recycled papers nearly 20 years ago, will again help elevate the profile of its industry with an appearance on the History Channel's "Modern Marvels" program. Neenah's innovative application of sustainable technology will be featured in a segment about recycling during the "Environmental Tech" episode on Jan. 24. The broadcast underscores environmental measures such as paper recycling and converting wastewater for beneficial uses -- everything from water to sludge to steam power -- as part of a giant self-sustaining loop. More than one million viewers tune in every week to watch new episodes of the hit show...
• Magal's DreamBox to safeguard water supply -- YAHUD, Israel, Dec. 21, 2006 -- Magal announced that a major water authority based on the East Coast of the United States has selected Magal's DreamBox solution to safeguard the utility's multiple-sites from hazardous threats and malicious activity. The order was placed by a nationwide system integrator, which will also install and provide full support for the product. DreamBox is a state-of-the-art, intelligent video, audio and sensors management platform...
-- "Magal Receives an order for its PipeGuard System to Protect Banks from Underground Intrusions"
-- "Magal Opens Office near Washington, DC, to Focus on Homeland Security Solutions"
• Axion Control Systems to distribute Labtronics' LimsLink -- GUELPH, ON, Canada, Dec. 21, 2006 -- Labtronics is pleased to announce that Axion Control Systems will now resell the LimsLink Suite of products. These offerings will include LimsLink, LimsLink CDS and LimsLink Express. Axion Control Systems was established in 1998 with a main focus on providing control System Integration and industrial IT services to the Australian manufacturing sector. Leveraging on its core technical and marketing competencies Axion has successfully expanded its portfolio of products and services and now provides system integration, IT and software programming services to diverse sectors such as Food & Beverage, Utilities, Petrochemical, Mining, Forensic & Science Laboratories and others...
-- "Labtronics Informational Webcast Series Well Received"
-- "Labtronics to Contribute to Technical Program at Pittcon 2007"
• SonTek/YSI celebrates 15 years in San Diego with new 'Center of Excellence' -- SAN DIEGO, CA, Dec. 21, 2006 -- A ribbon cutting ceremony will be held Jan. 3 for the new Center of Excellence for SonTek/YSI Inc. The event will be hosted by YSI CEO Rick Omlor. Ramon Cabrera, the SonTek founder, and David Shumway, its longest employee, are scheduled to cut the ribbon. The newly constructed, 20,000 sq. ft. building will house a growing Research and Development unit, as well as provide additional space for its manufacturing center. The site is only about one mile away from its previous location. Other guests will include representatives from the Scripps Institute of Oceanography, U.S. Geological Survey and the Marine Technology Society...
-- "YSI Newsletter: Drought Strains Resources for Water Utilities Worldwide" (Fall 2006)
-- "SonTek/YSI announces location of 2007 International Users Conference, Jan. 24-26"
• CH2M Hill wins 2006 BE Award -- American Electric Power - Mitchell & Mountaineer CPS Treatment Plants named top project in "Plant: New Technology Adoption" category -- EXTON, PA, Dec. 21, 2006 -- CH2M Hill, a global leader in full-service engineering, construction, and operations, has won a 2006 BE Award for its American Electric Power - Mitchell & Mountaineer CPS Treatment Plants project in West Virginia. The award category was "Plant: New Technology Adoption." AEP is installing flue gas desulfurization (FGD) systems to improve environmental performance at its Mitchell and Mountaineer coal-fired power plants. The new forced oxidation limestone scrubbers will reduce sulfur dioxide emissions by 95%. However, they also will produce a high total suspended solids and total dissolved solids purge stream that needs to be treated prior to discharge. Working with AEP, CH2M Hill used Bentley tools to evaluate treatment options for the purge stream...
-- "Bentley donates software, training to assist American Red Cross tsunami recovery"
-- "Water modeling for the Tsunami Recovery Program: American Red Cross uses water models to rehabilitate water and sanitation systems in Indonesia and other tsunami-affected areas"
-- "Latest Issue of BE Magazine Details Newest Trends in Software Licensing"
• Ward Hill Marketing signs agreement with FuelCell Energy -- LAWRENCE, MA, Dec. 20, 2006 -- Ward Hill Marketing, a technical marketing company based in Lawrence, Massachusetts (USA), has signed a marketing agreement with FuelCell Energy, Inc., a global leader in the development and manufacture of high temperature hydrogen fuel cells for clean electric power generation based in Danbury, CT. The companies will combine resources to support FuelCell Energy's aggressive growth strategy for the coming years. With nearly 18 years of technical marketing experience, Ward Hill Marketing specializes in engineer-to-engineer communications, and has a proven track record of helping companies to achieve dramatic growth in specialized technical environments...
-- "Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. Exercises Option to Buy FuelCell Energy Power Plants Under Provisions of its Power Purchase Agreement"
-- "Efficient biogas-fueled plants reduce local emissions: Dublin San Ramon Services District buys two Direct FuelCell (DFC) power plants"
-- "FuelCell Energy Power Plants to Generate Renewable, Ultra-Clean Electricity at California Wastewater Treatment Facility"
-- "FuelCell Energy to Install Ultra-Clean Power Plant Running on Milk-Processing Waste to Power California Wastewater Treatment Facility"
• SkyWave successfully completes field trials of new D+/GPRS integrated wireless controller -- SureLinx 8100 proven to extend existing GPRS and SkyWave D+ satellite applications with simplified networking and application hardware integration -- OTTAWA, ON, Canada, Dec. 20, 2006 -- SkyWave Mobile Communications, the worldwide leader in D+ satellite communications products and services, today announced the availability of the SureLinx 8100, a compact D+ and GPRS integrated wireless controller. The SureLinx 8100 combines SkyWave D+ satellite terminal technology with quad-band GPRS to enable effortless and immediate application development while maintaining the same high quality and proven dependability the industry has come to expect with SkyWave D+. By cost-effectively leveraging the power of these two networks, the SureLinx 8100 makes it easy for solution providers to grow their top and bottom lines with new and complimentary business. SureLinx 8100 provides increased global coverage of mobile or remote assets and simplified hardware and network integration at a minimal cost...
• Winzler & Kelly expands into Portland, Ore. -- SANTA ROSA, CA, Dec. 20, 2006 -- One of California's leading engineering and environmental sciences firm, Winzler & Kelly Consulting Engineers, recently expanded to Portland by acquiring SJO Consulting Engineers Inc. This brings the total Winzler & Kelly offices to 10 throughout the West Coast and Micronesia and a staff of nearly 300. SJO will be conducting business as "SJO Consulting Engineers a division of Winzler & Kelly" and retaining all of their current employees. SJO has been in business in Portland for over 30 years, and like Winzler & Kelly, has a culture of dedication to clients, community service, supporting employees, and improving the environment. SJO provides mechanical, electrical and civil engineering and environmental services in the Industrial, Site Development, and Water Resources markets. The addition of the Portland office allows Winzler & Kelly to provide community based services up the West Coast and throughout Oregon...