WaterBriefs: American Water partners with Harnett County to serve Fort Bragg
Also in this report: CH2M Hill to support Mohawk Valley Water Authority enterprise GIS plan; Veolia Water, Mass. city partner for sanitary sewer improvements; 45 Smithfield Foods facilities win environmental stewardship accolades; TTCM China books largest ever order worth $12.9 million; CWTI, Mich. mining firm join on water purification venture; Benchmark testing demonstrates scalability of Itron software on HP hardware; Canada environment ministers support wastewater plan...
In other news below:
-- CH2M Hill to support development of Mohawk Valley Water Authority Enterprise GIS
-- Taunton, Mass., Veolia Water North America partner for sanitary sewer improvements
-- 45 Smithfield Foods facilities receive AMI, GEEA environmental stewardship awards
-- TTCM China reports booking of largest ever order worth $12.9 million
-- Michigan Gold Mining Investments, CWTI join for water purification venture
-- Benchmark testing demonstrates scalability of Itron software on HP hardware
-- Canada environment ministers take action on air, water and soil quality
• American Water partners with Harnett County to provide services to Fort Bragg -- Company signs three-year contract to manage and operate water and wastewater treatment plants -- VOORHEES, NJ, Oct. 12, 2006 -- American Water, the largest water services provider in North America, announced today that it has been awarded a three-year contract to operate and manage water and wastewater treatment plants at Fort Bragg, NC. Under terms of the contract, American Water's Military Services Group will be a subcontractor to Harnett County, NC. The contract also supports U.S. Department of Defense agreements between Harnett County and the City of Fayetteville, NC under the Department's Utility Privatization Program. A 90-day transition period commences this month. Following this transition, American Water will be responsible for the interim operations and maintenance of Fort Bragg's 10.6 MGD Water Treatment Plant and 8 MGD Wastewater Treatment Plant...
• CH2M Hill selected to support development of Mohawk Valley Water Authority Enterprise GIS -- DENVER, CO, Oct. 12, 2006 -- CH2M Hill's Enterprise Spatial Solutions (ESS) business today announced it has been awarded a $400k contract by the Mohawk Valley Water Authority (MVWA) in Utica, NY, to provide spatial application development, data capture and modeling services. These services will support the development of an enterprise geographic information system (GIS) and business model of the MVWA water distribution system. Tasks include completing Initial Distribution System Evaluation (IDSE) requirements prior to deadlines set by the EPA. Providing 20 million gallons of drinking water to more than 125,000 residents, the MVWA service area includes an estimated 700 miles of pipe, 26 storage tanks, five reservoirs and 24 pumping stations...
-- "CH2M Hill launches Enterprise Collaboration Solutions business"
-- "CH2M Hill Partners with CJW International to expand IT remote monitoring capabilities"
-- "CH2M Hill receives $21 million multi-year contract at Beale Air Force Base"
• Taunton, Mass., and Veolia Water North America partners for sanitary sewer system improvements -- Agreement expands wastewater services agreement -- TAUNTON, MA, Oct. 12, 2006 -- The city of Taunton, MA, and Veolia Water North America marked the beginning of a major capital upgrade program to the city's 96-mile sanitary sewer (collection) system with a celebratory ribbon- cutting today. The program is part of a recently city-awarded 12-year, $12 million contract with Veolia Water for the management and restoration of the city's aging collection system. The Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) put Taunton on notice nearly two years ago, stating its sanitary system was inadequate and too old to handle its current wastewater and storm water flows. Facing severe fines if it didn't improve its system, Taunton city leaders, after a competitive bid process, selected its current wastewater services provider, Veolia Water, to provide assistance. It has managed the city's 8.4-million-gallon-per-day wastewater treatment plant since 1998...
-- "Veolia Water signs partnership agreement in Russia for the development of water, wastewater projects"
-- "Veolia's Dalkia International wins first cogeneration project in Israel"
-- "Veolia Environnement announces clearance for Cleanaway UK acquisition"
-- "Veolia Water confirms its growth in Asia with several new contracts"
• 45 Smithfield Foods facilities receive AMI, GEEA awards for environmental stewardship achievements -- SMITHFIELD, VA, Oct. 12, 2006 -- Smithfield Foods Inc. facilities in 19 states have earned honors from the American Meat Institute (AMI) and the Virginia Governor's Environmental Excellence Awards (GEEA) for their environmental stewardship efforts during the past year. AMI honors food industry participants with two separate awards. Eight Smithfield Foods facilities in six states received the Environmental Achievement Award for exceeding AMI's compliance standards for environmental outreach to the public; pollution prevention; resource conservation; sustainability; and training programs. Thirty-six Smithfield Foods facilities in 13 states earned the Environmental Recognition Award, which celebrates companies that assess their own environmental challenges and develop unique solutions that encourage continuous improvement. In addition, the state of Virginia's 11th annual GEEA singled out Gwaltney of Portsmouth, Gwaltney of Smithfield and Smithfield Ham & Products for their environmental projects in the category for large manufacturers...
• TTCM China reports booking of largest ever order worth $12.9 million -- MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA, Oct. 12, 2006 -- TTCM China Inc., a leading producer and supplier of glass-reinforced plastic pipes, today announced that they have signed a contract with Liao Ning Water Reservoir and Water Supply Company's Phase 2 project in Liao Ning Province. The contract calls for approximately 31 miles of glass-reinforced fiber plastic pipes 4.6 feet in diameter for the Water Supply Department of Liao Ning Province. The contract is worth an estimated $12.9 million (102,000,000 RMB). Delivery will start in November 2006 and will be completed by March of 2008...
• Michigan Gold Mining Investments signs Letter of Intent on patented water purification joint venture with Calif. firm -- BAY CITY, MI, Oct. 12, 2006 -- Michigan Gold Mining Investments Inc. has signed a letter of intent with Consolidated Water Technologies Inc. (CWTI) of Sun Valley, CA. CWTI's focus is on utility conservation, pathogen control/disinfection and odor control. It holds two patent process patents (U.S. Patent 5,730,879 and 6,746,609) surrounding use of water purification to achieve water and energy savings in cooling towers while reducing chemical, solids and water discharge. CWTI has existing distribution and/or representative agreements with Siemens and Pure Line Treatment Systems, LLC. It provides patented or unique, proprietary water treatment, purification, odor control and disinfection products to the food, dairy, university, industrial, municipal, commercial and hospital markets. Under the LOI agreement, the companies will jointly and actively pursue mutually beneficial business strategies for the Peru Water project and existing market growth in North America...
• Benchmark testing demonstrates scalability of Itron software on HP hardware -- Assessment verifies Itron's IEE Software can support more than 10 million meters -- SPOKANE, WA, Oct. 12, 2006 -- Itron Inc. announced today the completion of benchmark performance testing of Itron Enterprise Edition (IEE) Meter Data Management software on HP Integrity servers and StorageWorks EVA8000 disk arrays. The conclusion of extensive testing verifies IEE's ability to support the installations of advanced metering systems exceeding 10 million meters. The benchmark testing was conducted in HP's Marlboro test facility over several months using a realistic data set of 130 million hourly meter readings per day, equivalent to a utility of over 10 million electric and gas meters. The tests were conducted using processing windows and business rules based on Itron's 25 years of experience with the "day-in-the-life" processing of the meter-to-cash workflow. This number of readings represents the largest scale benchmarking test in the meter data management industry to date...
Also see: "Itron receives patent for its powerful Distribution Asset Analysis Suite"
• Canada environment ministers take action on air, water and soil quality -- YELLOWKNIFE, NW, Canada, Oct. 12, 2006 -- Federal, provincial and territorial environment ministers today affirmed their commitment to work cooperatively and actively to address climate change and air, soil and water quality. The Canadian Council of Ministers of the Environment (CCME) was in Yellowknife as part of a series of meetings bringing together ministers responsible for natural resources and the environment. Ministers also expressed their support for the Canada-wide municipal wastewater strategy currently being developed under their guidance. Insufficiently treated municipal wastewater effluent is one of the largest sources of pollution, by volume, discharged to surface water bodies in Canada. The developing strategy is intended to establish discharge limits so Canada's water bodies are protected, to harmonize regulatory requirements across the country, and to propose sustainable funding mechanisms for its implementation...
-- "Canada-British Columbia Municipal Rural Infrastructure Fund program officially launches"
-- "$224,726 invested to bring Saint-Edouard-de-Maskinonge's drinking water supply infrastructure up to standard"
-- "$1,738,856 invested in Chapais to upgrade municipal drinking water infrastructure"
-- "$247,557 invested in Saint-Philemon to bring drinking water supply infrastructure up to standard"