Company Adds 2-Dimensional Modeling to Flood Software
XP Software, a provider of hydrology and hydraulics software products, now offers two-dimensional (2D) modeling...
XP Software, a provider of hydrology and hydraulics software products, now offers two-dimensional (2D) modeling, a major enhancement to its flagship product xpswmm.
“Engineers can now utilize embedded digital terrain modeling (DTM), and a proven 2D hydrodynamic modeling engine with xpswmm’s traditional 1D modeling in a single environment,” said Tony Kuch, Vice President of Software Applications. “It allows the modeler to reliably evaluate the extent of urban and rural flooding in a visually appealing way that even non-technical observers can appreciate.”
xpswmm Version 10 users now have the tools needed to predict the extent and duration of flooding while assessing the ability of technologies and management practices to mitigate flooding.
The software provides an environment for building 2D models that simulate urban stormwater, sanitary sewers, river flooding and pollutant transport. Additional enhancements include a layer control panel, enhanced XP Tables capabilities, DTM integration and expanded BMP capabilities.
Fully 2D models have been widely used for modeling river and coastal hydraulics and recently have become a viable practical option for modeling urban floods. As a stormwater management tool, 2D models are more accurate and produce results that are more readily understood and accepted by managers, decision makers and other stakeholders.
The 2D modeling package is based on the TUFLOW program developed in Australia by WBM Oceanics and The University of Queensland. TUFLOW has been the subject of extensive testing and validation. It is specifically orientated towards establishing the flow patterns in coast waters, estuaries, rivers, floodplains and urban areas where the flow patterns are essentially 2D in nature and would be awkward to represent using a 1D model.
xpswmm has incorporated the TUFLOW engine into a graphical interface that steps the user through preprocessing of input data and the calculation of the model. All of software’s tools for generating tables, graphs, and animations are available for reviewing, analyzing and presenting model results. New 2D and 3D animation tools make it easy to present results to managers and decision makers.
A feature of xpswmm with 2D is its ability to dynamically link to any 1D (quasi-2D) model in an integrated fashion. The user sets up the model as a combination of 1D network domains linked to 2D domains as a single model.
- Analyzing trouble spots in an existing 1D network - simulating surface flooding, its flow path and its recession after the storm.
- Analyzing tidal surges, dam breaks and breaches on 1D storm/sewer networks - the impact of surface flooding on an existing 1D network can be simulated more accurately.
- Analysis of dual drainage - modeling of a road/subdivision design is enhanced with the ability to interactively simulate the parallel flow paths (surface flows in 2D and the 1D flow stormwater/sewer networks).
- Analysis of broad surface drainage - perfect application to design and analyze drainage of parking lots, commercial sites, golf courses, etc.
- Analyzing the impact of flooding of non-connected 1D models - ideal for analyzing the impact of cross surface flooding on adjacent non-connected 1D models such as parallel rivers, drainage canals, irrigation systems, etc.
- Flood hazard mapping - A tool to map the extent of surface flooding (depth and velocity) that can be used to develop emergency response procedures and to design engineering solutions to mitigate the impact of the flooding.
An updated edition of the Getting Started manual accompanies each new purchase of xpswmm. All purchases of XP Software include 12 months free product upgrades & technical support. Comprehensive training classes are also held around the world.
For more information visit the company’s website: www.xpsoftware.com.