City of Charlotte selects Woolpert for street centerline project
Departments throughout the City of Charlotte, N.C., recently formed a collective group and selected Woolpert LLP to merge their street centerline databases into a single, comprehensive geodatabase.
CHARLOTTE, N.C., May 6, 2003 -- Departments throughout the City of Charlotte, N.C., recently formed a collective group (including Mecklenburg County) and selected Woolpert LLP to merge their multiple street centerline databases into a single, comprehensive geodatabase.
The new geodatabase will advance the efficiency and capabilities of the department's existing street centerline resources.
The project is intended to create one street centerline file that will meet the needs of all users across the city and county, including the following consortium members:
* Business Support Services
* Charlotte Area Transit System
* Charlotte Department of Transportation
* Charlotte-Mecklenburg Fire Department
* Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department
* Charlotte-Mecklenburg Planning Commission
* Charlotte-Mecklenburg Utilities Department
* Mecklenburg County Criminal Justice Information System
* Engineering and Property Management
* Mecklenburg County EMS Agency
* Mecklenburg County Information System Technology Department
* Mecklenburg County Land Use and Environmental Services Agency
* Neighborhood Development
* Solid Waste Services
The project will organize and streamline processes for these organizations while focusing them on a common goal of improving information management. The new geodatabase will increase the capability of first responders to route personnel and equipment to emergency scenes quicker and with more accuracy as Woolpert adds physical and temporal impedance data to the centerline.
In addition to the reorganization, Woolpert will be designing the database template to house existing information and future edits from the organizations. The design will be based on significant work of the UNETRANS Council.
Woolpert LLP, ranked by ENR as a top national design firm, is a professional engineering and architecture consulting firm providing expertise in facilities planning and design, geographic information systems/information technology, photogrammetry, site/civil design, surveying/global positioning systems, transportation and water management.