WaterBriefs: ECOfluid's USBF honored for excellence in biological wastewater treatment
Also in this report: Rock Hill, SC, to host region's largest Wi-Fi network; Val-Matic valves NSF 61 certified; Interior Secretary, Colorado River water users talk drought; Aqua America buys Ind., Pa. systems; Foster Wheeler wins Saudi Manifa Project contract; Cal-Am Water, Boyle Engineering, CDM, Basin Water name execs; Ashland to acquire Northwest Coatings; Chemtura sells Davis-Standard interest; W. Europe bottled water volume up 1.5%; Thompson Pump debuts Arctic Knight pump package...
In other news below:
-- Rock Hill, SC, to host region's largest Wi-Fi network with CSGData, Tropos MetroMesh
-- Val-Matic air valves now certified to ANSI/NSF Standard 61
-- Interior Secretary Kempthorne, Colorado River water users discuss drought management
-- Aqua America closes water system acquisitions in Indiana, Pennsylvania
-- Foster Wheeler awarded contract by Saudi Aramco for Manifa Project
-- American Water announces new state president in California
-- Boyle Engineering hires lead for Water/Wastewater Practice Group in Orange County
-- CDM welcomes Bedwell to Industrial Services Group
-- Watts Water Technologies elects new director
-- Basin Water appoints Michael Stark as president, COO
-- Ashland Inc. to acquire Northwest Coatings
-- Chemtura sells its interest in Davis-Standard LLC for $72 million
-- W. European bottled water market grows by 1.5% to reach 2.7 billion liters
-- Use of novel membrane materials key to development of RO, UF and MF technologies
-- Thompson Pump debuts Arctic Knight cold-weather pump package
• ECOfluid's USBF recognized for excellence in biological wastewater treatment -- PALO ALTO, CA, Nov. 1, 2006 -- Frost & Sullivan selected ECOfluid Systems, Inc. as the recipient of the 2006 Frost & Sullivan Award for Technology Leadership in recognition of its USBF™, an exceptional advanced biological wastewater treatment technology.
ECOfluid's distinctive technology and inventive service strategies have enabled it to increase market share in the competitive packaged wastewater treatment market in the United States and Canada.
The company's advanced plants based on the USBF process address the constant demand to produce high quality effluents. This single-sludge denitrification process incorporates all the processes required for biological treatment in a single reactor and circulation loop, using very little energy and no chemicals.
While conventional processes such as SBR and extended aeration rely on the slow and inefficient sedimentation process, ECOfluid's USBF technology utilizes a fluidized bed or 'counter current' movement. This is a dynamic method that continually removes pollutants.
"ECOfluid Systems, Inc. is emerging as a company that has employed best practices that have not been replicated by other companies in the market." notes Tiku. "ECOfluid was benchmarked against all the companies that are present in the biological packaged wastewater treatment market. Its versatile technology and exceptional customer service makes ECOfluid a worthy recipient of 2006 Frost & Sullivan Technology Leadership Award."
Among other recent headlines:
• Rock Hill, SC, to receive largest municipal Wi-Fi network in Southeast with CSGData, Tropos MetroMesh System -- Municipality in Charlotte metro region to own, operate network for public safety, utility and field services -- ROCK HILL, SC, Nov. 1, 2006 -- Consulting Services Group (CSGData), a leading wireless network integrator and Tropos Networks, the market leader for metro-scale wireless mesh network systems, today announced that the city of Rock Hill, South Carolina, has contracted with the two companies to provide the largest municipal wireless network in the southeast. The city-owned and operated network will enable Rock Hill to improve public safety, utility and public worker efficiency and productivity, while reducing costs, thereby improving customer services. Tropos MetroMesh routers will be deployed for the municipal Wi-Fi network which will initially cover 32 square miles with backhaul connections to the city's fiber ring. Tropos 4210 mobile routers will be installed in police and fire vehicles, permitting immediate access to critical state and federal databases, along with remote viewing of security surveillance videos from the field via laptops. Additionally utility vehicles, building inspectors and other municipal workers will utilize PDAs in the field to access the municipal network for remote processing of paperwork. Ultimately, the municipal network will also provide automatic meter reading for water and electricity services, eliminating manual and false readings, providing remote turn off and turn on services due to vacation or delinquencies, and aid in, among other services, water theft and leak detection...
• Val-Matic air valves now certified to ANSI/NSF Standard 61 -- ELMHURST, IL, Oct. 31, 2006 -- Val-Matic Corp. announced the certification of its drinking water air valve product line in September to ANSI/NSF Standard 61 for Drinking Water System Components. Val-Matic is the first air valve manufacturer to have a complete line of air valves certified to ANSI/NSF 61. Underwriters Laboratories (UL) provided certification of the Val-Matic product line after completion of all testing and verification of data. In most states, legislation requires that if certified products are available, they must be used in drinking water systems. Therefore, certification provides a strong advantage in the market place. Verification of certification can be located by visiting UL's website at www.ul.com...
Also see: "Val-Matic announces 40th anniversary"
• Interior Secretary Kempthorne, Colorado River water users discuss drought management -- LAS VEGAS, Oct. 31, 2006 -- Secretary of the Interior Dirk Kempthorne met yesterday (Oct. 30) with representatives from the seven states that share the Colorado River's flows to discuss water management issues related to the drought-plagued river. Among the items discussed were shortage sharing arrangements associated with persistent Colorado River drought conditions and potential options for augmenting the river system's flows. The Colorado River Basin States are currently collaborating on a system-wide study examining augmentation options, such as desalination, weather modification and other emerging technologies. The results of the study are scheduled for release next summer. An Environmental Impact Statement related to managing the river system is also being developed. Representatives from the Colorado River Basin States expressed that Kempthorne's visit underscored his commitment to working proactively and collaboratively on difficult Colorado River issues such as shortage management. The meeting was productive and set a positive tone for the critical times ahead...
-- "North-of-the-Delta Offstream Storage Investigation Initial Alternatives Information Report Available"
-- "Kempthorne Likely to Consider Several Indian Water Rights Settlement Negotiations in Western States"
-- "Final EIR/EIS Available for the Contra Costa Water District Alternative Intake Project"
-- "Reclamation Celebrates 50th Anniversary of the Passage of the Colorado River Storage Project Act at Glen Canyon Dam"
• Aqua America closes water system acquisitions in Indiana, Pennsylvania -- BRYN MAWR, PA, Oct 31, 2006 -- Aqua America Inc. announced that its subsidiaries purchased two more water systems to further expand its regional networks in Indiana and Pennsylvania. The combined purchase price for the acquisitions is approximately $275,000. Aqua Indiana Inc. acquired the water system assets of the former Darlington Water Company serving about 850 residents in the town of Darlington, Montgomery County, northwest of Indianapolis. Also, Aqua Pennsylvania Inc. completed the "tuck-in" acquisition of the water system serving the Floral Estates residential community in Jefferson Township, Lackawanna County, near Scranton...
• Foster Wheeler awarded FEED/project management services contract by Saudi Aramco for Manifa Project -- HAMILTON, Bermuda, Oct. 31, 2006 -- Foster Wheeler Ltd. announced that two subsidiaries in its Global Engineering and Construction Group, Foster Wheeler Energy Ltd. and Foster Wheeler Arabia Ltd., have been awarded a front-end engineering design (FEED) and project management services contract by Saudi Aramco for the Manifa Arabian Heavy Crude Program, in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The Manifa Arabian Heavy Crude Program, planned for mid-2011 completion, includes the development of the giant offshore Manifa oilfield and the construction of gas-oil separation plants and crude stabilization units and separators. These additions will handle 900,000 barrels per day of Arabian heavy crude, plus sour associated gas, condensate and produced water...
• American Water announces new state president in California -- Kent Turner appointed, company increases local presence -- VOORHEES, NJ, Oct. 31, 2006 -- American Water, the largest water services provider in North America, announced today that Kent Turner has been appointed State President of California American Water. Reporting to Paul Townsley, American Water's Western Region President, Turner will be an important contact regarding American Water's business in California, and he will support local management to enhance operating and customer service performance. American Water created the state president position as part of its continued commitment to dedicate significant time and energy on building and maintaining relationships with state officials and regulators, as well as customers...
Also see: "California American Water ends water year under state limits"
• Boyle Engineering hires lead engineer for Water/Wastewater Practice Group in Orange County -- NEWPORT BEACH, CA, Oct. 31, 2006 -- Boyle Engineering Corp. has hired Matthew Thomas, P.E., to oversee its Water/Wastewater Practice Group serving clients throughout Orange County, CA. Thomas comes to Boyle from PBS&J, where he was most recently a division manager with oversight of water and wastewater projects in Southern California With more than 15 years of experience in the planning, design, and construction of water and wastewater facilities, Thomas possesses superior credentials to provide direction and leadership to a team of engineers responsible for a multitude of high-profile projects ranging from advanced water treatment plants to large-diameter pipelines. His joining the Orange County office of Boyle is part of a planned expansion of the Water/Wastewater Practice Group...
• CDM welcomes Bedwell to Industrial Services Group -- IRVINE, CA, Oct. 30, 2006 -- CDM Inc. is pleased to announce that Allan Bedwell has joined the Industrial Services Group as a principal corporate environmental strategist in the firm's Irvine office. Previously executive vice president for EmeraChem, a manufacturer of air pollution control equipment for power generators, manufacturers, and commercial vehicles, Bedwell will assist CDM's corporate clients in air pollution control, greenhouse gas emissions management, and energy management. Armed with extensive experience in business and government, he has served as a top environmental regulator and executive in the air pollution control and energy industries. He has 18 years of experience, successfully managing large projects and organizations, troubleshooting complex issues, and directing business strategy. A nationally recognized leader with expertise in technology, manufacturing, energy, and regulation, Bedwell most recently served as deputy secretary for Regulatory Programs and Energy in the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, directing statewide regulation of air quality, water quality, waste management, land development, and energy policy...
• Watts Water Technologies elects new director -- NORTH ANDOVER, MA, Oct. 30, 2006 -- Watts Water Technologies Inc. announced the election of Robert L. Ayers as a member of the board of directors. Ayers was also elected by the board to serve as a member of the Audit Committee and the Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee of the Board of Directors. He was senior vice president of ITT Industries and president of ITT Industries' Fluid Technology from October 1999 until September 2005. He continued to be actively employed by ITT Industries from September 2005 until September 2006, during which time he focused on special projects for the company. Ayers originally joined ITT Industries in 1998 as president of ITT Industries' Industrial Pump Group. Before that, he was president of Sulzer Industrial USA and CEO of Sulzer Bingham, a pump manufacturer in Portland, OR...
• Basin Water appoints Michael Stark as president, COO -- RANCHO CUCAMONGA, CA, Oct. 30, 2006 -- Basin Water Inc. announced the appointment of Michael M. Stark as president and chief operating officer. Stark previously served as president and chief executive officer of Veolia Water North America, a subsidiary of Veolia Environment SA of France, a leading worldwide integrated water services and environmental company. As president and COO, he'll be responsible for overseeing the overall operations of the company and will report to Peter Jensen, Basin Water's chairman of the board and CEO...
• Ashland Inc. to acquire Northwest Coatings -- COVINGTON, KY, Oct. 30, 2006 -- Ashland Inc. announced that it signed a definitive agreement on Friday, Oct. 27, to purchase the assets of Northwest Coatings of Oak Creek, Wis., a formulator and manufacturer of adhesives and coatings employing ultraviolet and electron beam (UV/EB) polymerization technologies. Northwest Coatings is a holding of Caltius Equity Partners. The transaction, which includes production facilities in Milwaukee, Wis., and Greensboro, N.C., is valued at approximately $72 million. Trailing 12-month sales of Northwest Coatings are nearly $40 million...
• Chemtura sells its interest in Davis-Standard LLC for $72 million -- Revises 2006 earnings expectations -- MIDDLEBURY, CT, Oct. 30, 2006 -- Chemtura Corporation (NYSE:CEM) announced that it has sold its majority interest in the Davis-Standard, LLC (D-S LLC) polymer processing equipment joint venture to partner Hamilton Robinson LLC for approximately $72 million in cash, plus an additional $8 million that is contingent upon certain post-closing determinations.
D-S LLC, headquartered in Pawcatuck, Conn., had revenues for the fiscal year ended Sept. 30, 2006 of approximately $250 million and was classified in Chemtura's financials as an equity investment...
• W. European bottled water market grows by 1.5% to reach 2.7 billion liters -- Spain leads regional bottled water market uplift in 2006 -- BATH, United Kingdom, Oct. 30, 2006 -- Despite a 165 million liter drop in Italy and another decline in third-place France, West Europe's bottled water market returned to growth in 2005, with a 1.5% increase of 643 million liters to reach 42.7 billion liters, according to leading drinks consultancy and bottled water specialists Zenith International. Sales were assisted by average summer weather after the downpours of 2004. Spain accounted for most of the advance, with Germany and the United Kingdom also seeing solid progress...
-- "Healthy living the way forward for UK soft drinks market"
-- "Bottled Water sales reach new heights in East Europe"
• Use of novel membrane materials key to development of RO, UF and MF technologies -- PALO ALTO, CA, Oct. 27, 2006 -- With ever-increasing demand for clean water among industries as well as the general population, there's a trend toward greater use of membrane filtration technologies. As a specification-driven process, they're able to provide water of much higher quality for municipal drinking and wastewater or industrial specifications for water reuse. Membrane technology cost reductions also have served to promote technology as a cost-effective water treatment alternative, according to Frost & Sullivan...
-- "Water Quality Concerns Boost Growth Opportunities for Treatment Equipment: Analyst briefing on Singapore, Hong Kong markets Nov. 16"
-- "The Northern European Membrane Separation Systems Market grows: Revenues estimate to reach 1 billion dollars"
-- "European Water and Wastewater Markets: Stringent EU Legislation Fuels Demand for Pumps"
• Thompson Pump's cold surprise revealed as Arctic Knight pump package -- PORT ORANGE, FL, Oct. 22, 2006 -- Thompson Pump & Manufacturing Co., an industry leader in the development of high quality engine-powered portable pumps, debuts the Arctic Knight™ cold weather pump package at the 2006 WEFTEC show...