WaterBriefs: Aquatech awarded EPC contract for FGD wastewater ZLD system in Italy
Also in this report: VMA-HI workshop set for August; Isco adds Lincoln, Neb., distribution site; ATI acquires Bitboys Oy; Phoenix Contact supports Mechatrolink Standard; Brownsville desalination study funded; IBWA to host DWRF golf fundraiser; Emerson offers SIS courses online; GEA acquires FlatPlate; Corona, Calif., taps into recycled water; DLEC integrates software on North America's largest membrane water treatment plant; Colorado Springs Utilities deploys Rockwell Automation solution...
In other news below:
-- Registration now open for vma-hi Market outlook workshop
-- Isco Industries adds distribution site in Lincoln, Neb.
-- ATI acquires Bitboys Oy, a leading developer of mobile graphics technology
-- Phoenix Contact supports Mechatrolink Standard
-- TWDB: Funding approved for Brownsville desalination project pilot study
-- DWRF golf tournament fundraiser registration now open
-- Emerson offers new comprehensive SIS training courses online
-- GEA acquires FlatPlate
-- Corona, Calif., turns on the tap with recycled water
-- DLEC integrates software on North America's largest membrane water treatment plant
-- Anthem, Ariz., water/wastewater service grows and changes with advanced software
-- Colorado Springs Utilities employs Rockwell Automation solution to meet EPA rules
-- Advanced control technology helps Kewanee, Ill., supply clean, safe drinking water
Aquatech awarded EPC contract for FGD wastewater ZLD system in Italy
CANONSBURG, PA, July 6, 2006 -- A consortium led by Aquatech International Corporation recently received a contract valued at over $75 million USD from ENEL, Italy's largest power company, for the engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) of Zero Liquid Discharge (ZLD) facilities at five of ENEL's coal-fired power plants throughout Italy.
The feed for the water treatment systems for all five power plants will be Flue Gas Desulphurization (FGD) wastewater. Some of the plants have existing FGD scrubbers while others will be installing new scrubbers. Aquatech's integrated solution includes a combination of physical/chemical treatment and evaporative technologies that will enable ENEL to achieve greater environmental responsibility and development of environmentally friendly power facilities. The five power plants in Italy where the ZLD Facilities will be installed are Brindisi, Fusina, Sulcis, Torrevaldaliga, and La Spezia.
To execute this project, Aquatech has formed a joint venture with its consortium partner, Carlo Gavazzi Impianti Spa, (CGI), under the name Zenit S.c.ar.l.
The award of these projects signifies Aquatech's second major win in the ZLD for FGD waste market in less than six months.
"Aquatech is committed to being a leader in the FGD waste market. Whether it is conventional treatment for discharge or ZLD utilizing evaporative technologies, Aquatech can offer a complete solution for this important application," said Devesh Sharma, Aquatech's Executive Vice President.
The projects will be implemented over two years and will also include an option for operations and maintenance of the facilities.
Aquatech International Corp. (www.aquatech.com), with headquarters in Canonsburg, PA, specializes in water purification technology solutions. Aquatech's market focus includes Industrial Process Water, Wastewater Recycle/Reuse, Zero Liquid Discharge and Desalination. For 25 years Aquatech has executed over 750 major projects, integrating several of its product groups, in over 50 countries across the globe for major High Technology, Heavy Industrial and Major Infrastructure projects. Aquatech, through its subsidiaries and satellite offices in the US, Canada, Middle East, India, Southeast Asia, and China, has global sourcing and EPC capabilities to suit logistics of project sites throughout the world.
• Registration now open for vma-hi Market outlook workshop -- PARSIPPANY, NJ, July 7, 2006 -- This year's workshop will be held at the Four Seasons Hotel in Chicago on Aug. 24-25, 2006. Organized by the Valve Manufacturers Association and co-sponsored by the Hydraulic Institute, it will feature some of the best industry and economic experts discussing trends in a broad spectrum of marketplaces and economies for pump and valve professionals...
• Isco Industries adds distribution site in Lincoln, Neb. -- LOUISVILLE, KY, July 6, 2006 -- ISCO Industries, one of the nation's largest distributors and suppliers of polyethylene (HDPE) piping products, has announced the opening of a new stocking distribution site in Lincoln, NE, to serve a growing customer base in Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa and the Dakotas. It will also support Dave Ziola, ISCO's new salesperson for the territory. The facility features over one acre of outside storage and 5,000 square feet of inside warehouse storage. HDPE pipe and fittings up to 18" are in stock and ready for delivery, and customers can buy or rent fusion equipment up to 18." The address of the new facility is 7701 Cornhusker Highway, Lincoln, NE. Ziola can be reached by calling 800-345-4726...
• ATI acquires Bitboys Oy, a leading developer of mobile graphics technology -- MARKHAM, ON, Canada, July 6, 2006 -- ATI Technologies Inc. announced May 2 it has acquired privately held Bitboys Oy, a 15-year veteran of the graphics industry for up to EUR 35.2 million (about US$44 million). The final value is subject to certain performance-related conditions. Bitboys brings valuable engineering experience, technology and customer relationships that enhance ATI's existing mobile phone multimedia offerings. Based in Finland, the Bitboys team will be fully integrated in to ATI's Handheld Business Unit, and form the nucleus for a key design centre for ATI in Europe...
• Phoenix Contact supports Mechatrolink Standard -- MIDDLETOWN, PA, July 6, 2006 -- In April 2006, Phoenix Contact joined the Mechatrolink Members Association (MMA), the Japan-based user organization dedicated to the development and promotion of the Mechatrolink motion network. The Mechatrolink motion network is an easy and cost-effective communication solution that covers the requirements of high-performance multi-axis servo systems. One-hundred forty industrial companies belong to MMA, which was founded by Yaskawa Electric, the world's largest manufacturer of regulating drives, servo control systems and robotics. Phoenix Contact is working with Yaskawa to develop a modular I/O bus coupler with the Mechatrolink interface based on the Inline system...
• TWDB: Funding approved for Brownsville desalination project pilot study -- AUSTIN, TX, July 6, 2006 -- The Summer 2006 edition of the Texas Water Development Board's quarterly newsletter, Water for Texas, is now available. Headlines for this issue include:
-- TWDB Inspection and Field Support Services
-- TWDB Approves 2006 Regional Water Plans
-- Candace Windel is New Deputy Executive Administrator
-- Desalination News: Brownsville Seawater Desalination
Project Pilot Study Funding Approved
-- Coming Soon: State Revolving Fund Solicitations
-- Texas Rainwater Harvesting Evaluation Committee Update
-- Sixth Texas Water Monitoring Congress Set for September 2006
-- Water Audit Deadline Extended to July 7...
• DWRF golf tournament fundraiser registration now open -- ALEXANDRIA, VA, July 5, 2006 -- The Drinking Water Research Foundation (DWRF) today announced that registration for the DWRF 2006 Golf Tournament is available on its website at www.dwrf.info. The tournament will be held at the Painted Desert Golf Club in Las Vegas, NV, on Oct. 3 with a 12:30 pm shotgun start. The tournament, held in conjunction with the 2006 IBWA Convention and Trade Show, will raise funds for drinking and bottled water research conducted by DWRF. The entry fee includes round-trip bus transportation from the Mandalay Bay Resort, greens fees, carts, lunch, golf reception, and prizes...
• Emerson offers new comprehensive SIS training courses online -- Online courses provide in-depth information on design, implementation and service of smart Safety Instrumented Systems -- AUSTIN, TX, July 5, 2006 -- Emerson Process Management is now offering comprehensive courses on smart Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS) with eLearning online training (). The new Safety Engineering courses provide in-depth information on SIS design, implementation and service for professionals who are participating in an SIS project in either a primary or a supporting role...
• GEA acquires FlatPlate -- LOUISVILLE, KY, July 5, 2006 -- GEA has acquired York, Pa.-based FlatPlate , a brazed plate heat exchanger manufacturer. GEA expects FlatePlate to bring additional competence to Louisville, Ky.-based GEA Ecoflex, which supplies gasketed and semi-welded plate heat exchangers as well as fully welded plate heat exchangers. According to GEA management, in the July 5 edition of PCE Newsletter from Process Cooling & Equipment, the company's position will be considerably stronger in the brazed market following the acquisition...
• City of Corona turns on the tap with recycled water -- CORONA, CA, July 5, 2006 -- The City of Corona's Department of Water and Power will officially turn on recycled water at Mountain Gate Park on July 11. Although some local parks and golf courses have already been receiving recycled water from the City, this kickoff event -- announced June 28 -- signifies completion of 27 miles of recycled water pipelines, three storage reservoirs and three pump stations that will be supplying water to more customers throughout the City by this summer. Corona elected officials and executive managers will be on hand to speak about the project. Now that the system is completed, it will produce about six mgd of recycled water. This water will be irrigating golf courses, local parks and schools, landscape maintenance districts and freeway landscaping...
• DLEC integrates software on North America's largest membrane water treatment plant -- PHOENIX, June 28, 2006 -- When completed, by the summer of 2008, the Twin Oaks Valley Water Treatment Plant north of San Marcos, CA, in San Diego County, will be the largest membrane filtration plant in North America, providing 100 mgd of treated water for about 220,000 households. DL Engineering & Controls is overseeing the software development component on this project. It's a substantial effort in its own right, requiring 12,000 hours of programming, or the equivalent of six full-time programmers working for a year...
Also see: "Anthem, Ariz., water/wastewater service grows and changes with advanced software"
• Colorado Springs Utilities employs Rockwell Automation solution to meet EPA rules -- MILWAUKEE, WI, June 28, 2006 -- Rockwell Software Maintenance Automation Control Center (RSMACC) provides change management solution for Colorado Springs Utilities with: 1) security required across controllers; 2) supplemental features of authentication, auditing, archiving and verification; and 3) better management of processes and effective monitoring of maintenance activities...
-- "Colorado Springs wastewater treatment facility washes away control problems with remote monitoring"
-- "Advanced control technology helps Kewanee, Ill., maintain supply of clean, safe drinking water"