WaterBriefs: United Water announces agreement to purchase WP Water Company
Also in this report: Aqua America names Laughman as Aqua Texas president; Calif. DWR announces first results of 2007 Prop. 50 Water Use Efficiency Grant Program; Budget Waste Inc. acquires 4M Water Hauling Ltd.; Wataire Industries changes name to reflect future technology development strategy; Puronics opens new manufacturing facilities in Livermore, Calif...
In other news below:
-- Aqua America names Laughman as Aqua Texas president;
-- Calif. DWR announces first results of 2007 Prop. 50 Water Use Efficiency Grant Program
-- Budget Waste Inc. acquires 4M Water Hauling Ltd.
-- Wataire Industries changes name to reflect future technology development strategy
-- Puronics opens new manufacturing facilities in Livermore, Calif.
• United Water announces agreement to purchase WP Water Company -- HARRINGTON PARK, NJ, Feb. 26. 2007 -- United Water announced today that it has reached an agreement to acquire WP Water Company in Pennsylvania for $280,000. The transaction, subject to the approval of the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission, is expected to close by the end of September.
"The addition of WP Water Company to our portfolio is in line with our strategy to grow by acquiring companies that are adjacent to our existing operations," said Robert Iacullo, COO of United Water's regulated business segment. "This acquisition strengthens our United Water Pennsylvania operation and increases our ability to provide excellent service and value to our customers. We look forward to serving our newest customers."
United Water Pennsylvania is a regulated water company owned by United Water. The company currently serves approximately 150,000 people in four operating areas throughout the state: Bloomsburg, Dallas, Harrisburg and Mechanicsburg. The WP Water Company, which is close to United Water's Dallas operation, serves about 500 people. It consists of two separate water systems: the Sleepy Hollow System and the Washington Park System.
As one of the nation's largest water services companies, United Water provides water and wastewater services to 7 million people in 20 states. The company is a subsidiary of the Suez Environment division of the Suez Group, which supplies sustainable solutions for essential environmental services (water, sanitation and waste services) to industrial and individual customers around the world.
United Water is a key component in the Suez strategy to expand its position in North America. The company recently announced that it intends to purchase Aquarion Water Company of New York which serves 50,000 people adjacent to United Water's service area in Westchester County.
In addition to acquisitions, Iacullo explained that United Water is pursuing growth through public-private partnerships with municipalities. The company currently operates 65 municipal water and wastewater operations through contract agreements. This includes four of the nation's largest municipal contracts: Milwaukee, WI, Indianapolis, IN, Gary, IN and Jersey City, NJ.
"Our new customers will benefit from the best of both worlds," said Iacullo. "They will of course receive the strong local management and service that United Water brings but will also benefit from access to the global resources of Suez. We are excited about expanding our presence in Pennsylvania."
United Water (www.unitedwater.com) provides water and wastewater services to 7 million people in the United States. In addition to owning and operating 25 regulated utilities, United Water operates 65 municipal systems through public-private partnerships and contact agreements including four of the nation's largest water and wastewater contracts. Founded in 1869, United Water is a subsidiary of the Suez Environment division of the Suez Group.
Suez Environment (www.suez-environnement.com), a Suez business line, provides equipment and services that protect the environment and deliver the essentials of life. Its activities include drinking water production and distribution, wastewater collection and treatment, and waste treatment and recovery. Backed by its experience in the water and waste cycles, Suez Environment has a wide-ranging portfolio of know-how providing a sustainable solution to the requirements of local authorities and businesses. Suez Environment employs over 72,130 people worldwide and in 2005, generated turnover of EUR 11.1 billion.
Among other recent headlines:
• Aqua America names Laughman as Aqua Texas president -- BRYN MAWR, PA, Feb. 26. 2007 -- The Board of Directors of Aqua America Inc. has approved the promotion of Aqua Texas, Inc. Chief Operating Officer Bob Laughman to president of Aqua Texas. Under Laughman's leadership, Aqua Texas has gone from negative net income in 2003 to becoming one of our financially strongest southern states in 2006. It's the state's largest investor-owned water and wastewater company, serving nearly 155,000 people in 49 counties. Laughman is credited with improving the company's financial picture by expanding its customer base and by establishing more efficient operations through better administration and reorganization. Laughman has overseen a $50 million capital program over the last three years, which has resulted in the clean-up of more than approximately 200 environmental compliance violations inherited from the previous owner...
• Calif. DWR announces first results of 2007 Prop. 50 Water Use Efficiency Grant Program -- Workshops scheduled -- SACRAMENTO, CA, Feb. 26, 2007 -- The Department of Water Resources (DWR) has released the Review & Evaluation results of Step 1 Concept Proposals for the 2007 Water Use Efficiency Program Proposal Solicitation Package (PSP). Of the 216 Concept Proposals (Step 1) DWR received in response to the PSP, 106 were selected and are invited to submit Full (Step 2) Proposals. Invitation to submit a full proposal is not a guarantee of funding. The Invitations are based solely on the ranked averages of proposals or up to 200% available funds within each category of funding, whichever comes first. This provides another round of competition complete with review and evaluation. Successful proposals will be selected for funding...
Also see: "California DWR Announces Public Workshops on Flood Bond Funding"
• Budget Waste Inc. acquires 4M Water Hauling Ltd. -- CALGARY, AB, Canada, Feb. 26, 2007 -- Budget Waste Inc. today announced that it has completed the acquisition of 4M Water Hauling Ltd. With a 7-year history of exceptional service and a wealth of knowledge in the oilfield services industry, 4M is the dominant provider of water truck services in the Edson region. 4M provides drinking and freshwater to drilling and service rigs, mines, residential, and forestry operations as well as water filtration services, water storage tanks, dust control, and fire fighting services. With a fleet of up to 15 trucks and a service area that covers the areas of Edson, Hinton, Grand Cache, and a service corridor surrounding the Calgary area, 4M has increased sales volumes to over $4,000,000.00 annually. Maintenance and storage is facilitated in a company-owned property of 5 acres with a 22,000 sq.ft. fully equipped shop and office facility located in Edson. BWI has water hauling operations in place throughout Alberta; the addition of 4M will bring valuable knowledge and experience to BWI and increase the customer base and revenue generating capacity of this division...
• Wataire Industries changes name to reflect future technology development strategy -- VANCOUVER, BC, Canada, Feb. 22, 2007 -- Wataire Industries Inc. announces it has changed its corporate name to Wataire Ecosafe Technologies Inc. The company has already successfully developed efficient, eco friendly water producing and treatment systems now being sold in over 30 countries. The increase in market demand for environmentally friendly "green" technologies is staggering in all sectors as global warming becomes a major concern all around the world. Wataire, in addition to continuing our in-house research for atmospheric water generators and treatment systems, has strategically aligned itself with outside scientists and engineers to develop and acquire green technologies that will lead to free-standing, "nature powered" water treatment systems. These are particularly needed in developing countries without available or affordable electrical energy supplies. Wataire Ecosafe Technologies will concentrate on developing products that directly address the need for environmentally friendly solutions to the world's water and energy shortages. Once we have developed, tested and patented these emerging technology concepts, we will seek out marketing partners with the resources and capability to introduce these innovations on a worldwide basis...
-- "Wataire Industries Research and Development Update"
-- "Wataire International to Set up Demonstration Centers in Mexico"
• Puronics opens new manufacturing facilities in Livermore, Calif. -- LIVERMORE, CA, Feb. 21, 2007 -- Puronics, Incorporated, which acquired the Ionics Consumer Water Group in January of 2006, has consolidated its manufacturing facilities at a new, state-of-the art plant in Livermore, Calif. Ionics previously manufactured its products at a Canonsburg, Penn., plant. The new facility can produce more than 200,000 water systems per year. Puronics makes a broad range of water treatment products for homes and businesses using technologies such as water conditioning, filtering, micro-filtration, ultra filtration, bacteriostatic carbon filtration, reverse osmosis and ultra violet disinfection. At the same time, the company moved manufacturing to their new facility, it also opened up a new distribution center in Cincinnati, Ohio to serve its East Coast dealers...