Smart Utility Systems celebrates new HQ, partnership with Planet Water Foundation
Initiatives bring 200 new jobs to Orange County aim to address water scarcity at local and global levels.
IRVINE, Calif., Jan. 21, 2016 – Smart Utility Systems, a leading provider of cloud-based platforms for the utility sector and its customers, today announced the opening of its Smart HQ offices in Irvine, Calif.
With the increasing need for innovations to help water and energy utilities conserve resources and improve operations, Smart Utility Systems grew by 352 percent in 2015. With the opening of its new Smart HQ offices, the company expects to bring 200 new jobs to Orange County this year. The next step for Smart Utility Systems is global expansion, with two new international offices set to open in 2016.
To celebrate, Smart Utility Systems hosted Cleantech Connect, a water and energy innovation forum and idea exchange on solutions for resolving global water crises and energy sustainability. The event kicked off with a ribbon cutting ceremony led by Irvine Mayor, Steven Choi. Other event speakers included:
- Senior executives from Smart Utility Systems
- Ravi Sajwan, serial entrepreneur, conservationist and co-founder of 5-hour Energy
- Mark Steele, CEO and founder of Planet Water Foundation
- Representatives from Irvine Public Schools Foundation (IPSF), San Diego County Water Authority and UC Irvine researchers, among others.
New Water-Focused CSR Initiatives
Smart Utility Systems also announced new corporate social responsibility initiatives aimed at addressing water scarcity issues at both local and global levels.
Recognizing that the current drought can serve as an important learning opportunity for California residents about the critical yet delicate nature of our water resources, the company is pleased to announce a partnership with Irvine Public Schools Foundation and local water agencies to develop a new youth outreach program focused on educating local youth on water innovation and conservation. Proposed program elements include:
- Classroom visits from Smart Utility Systems water tech experts and local water utilities for hands-on water conservation workshops
- A new “Be a Water Hero” contest that will reward students for saving water by reporting water waste issues to local water agencies through the Smart Utility Systems Smart H2O mobile app
- Sponsorship and workshops for the IPSF annual STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts & Mathematics) Carnival
Additionally, Smart Utility Systems is kicking off a partnership with Planet Water Foundation, a U.S.-based non-profit focused on bringing clean water to the world’s most disadvantaged communities. Through its partnership with Planet Water, Smart Utility Systems will bring clean potable water to a selected region of India. Smart Utility Systems executives will work alongside Planet Water teams to erect an AquaTower in the heart of a community that will provide 10,000 liters of water per day. The AquaTower will reside in an elementary school.
“The UN estimates that in the next decade almost two billion people will live in regions with absolute water scarcity, and two thirds of people globally will live in water stressed conditions,” said Deepak Garg, chairman and CEO of Smart Utility Systems. “We’re passionate about solving critical water and energy-related problems not only in California, but worldwide. Our announcements today and continued growth put us one big step closer to that objective.”
Smart Water and Energy Solutions that Make a Difference
Smart Utility Systems smart water and energy solutions help utilities and their customers improve resource conservation, operations and communication. Recent additions to their portfolio include:
- Smart H2O mobile app: Enables users to easily report water waste issues directly to their local water agencies, provides water agencies with valuable real-time insights, and engages the general public in drought-related efforts.
- Bill Savings Navigator: Enables utilities to connect directly with income-qualifying customers and share information on cost-saving government-mandated efficiency and rebate programs; built on the award-winning mobile and portal utility customer engagement platform, Smart Customer Mobile (SCM®).
Additionally, Smart Utility Systems technologies can help power outside water and energy innovations.
"One of my current projects is Rainmaker, an on-demand, scalable water processing platform that uses Vacuum Vapor Compression (VVC) Distillation – each Rainmaker unit can create 25,000 gallons of clean water per day at significantly lower costs than currently available solutions,” said Ravi Sajwan, serial entrepreneur and conservationist. “Smart Utility Systems technology powers the management platform, featuring a novel approach that optimizes the water creation and conservation ecosystem.”
About Smart Utility Systems
Smart Utility Systems is the leading provider of cloud-based platforms for customer engagement, workforce mobility, and big data intelligence and analytics to the energy, water and gas utility sectors. Rapid deployment platforms integrate seamlessly to reduce costs and complexity, enabling clients to reduce operational and IT costs. Smart Utility Systems is headquartered in Irvine, California. Connect with SUS on LinkedIn or Twitter. For more information, please visit www.smartusys.com, www.beawaterhero.comorcall (909) 217-3344. You can also join the social media conversation by using the hashtag #CleantechConnect.