American Water accepting applications for 2017 Environmental Grant Program
Grants available to community projects in company's service areas in 10 states.
VOORHEES, NJ, JANUARY 9, 2017 -- American Water, the largest publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company, announced today that applications are now being accepted by its participating state subsidiaries for the company's 2017 Environmental Grant Program awards. The grant awards will be available in American Water service areas in 10 states: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Tennessee and West Virginia.
Established in 2005, American Water's Environmental Grant Program offers funds for innovative, community-based environmental projects that improve, restore or protect the watersheds, surface water and/or groundwater supplies through partnerships.
American Water is committed to ensuring water quality through testing and treatment, as well as through consumer education and community source protection programs. The company believes everyone is an environmental steward in protecting the nation's water supplies, and this program is one way to help communities play an active role in this important effort.
To qualify, proposed projects must:
· Address a source water or watershed protection need in the community
· Be completed between May 1, 2017 and November 30, 2017
· Be a new or innovative program for the community, or serve as a significant expansion to an existing program
· Be carried out by a formal or informal partnership between two or more organizations
· Provide evidence of sustainability (continued existence after the American Water grant monies are utilized)
· Be located within one of American Water's service areas in the following states: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Tennessee and West Virginia.
Information and application requirements can be obtained directly from participating American Water state subsidiaries, or on the Environmental Grant section of the company website at https://amwater.com/corp/serving-our-customers/environmental-grant-program.
Applications must be postmarked by March 27, 2017 and recipients will be notified by April 19, 2017.
In 2016, a total of 42 projects throughout American Water's service areas in 10 states were awarded grants totaling $153,350.
About American Water
Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. Marking its 130th anniversary this year, the company employs more than 6,700 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 47 states and Ontario, Canada. More information can be found at www.amwater.com.