Company Offers Selection of Energy Saving Systems
Schneider Electric has developed a Web-based tool to help facility managers, consulting engineers and operations managers evaluate systems that can help reduce energy consumption.
Schneider Electric has developed a Web-based tool to help facility managers, consulting engineers and operations managers evaluate systems that can help reduce energy consumption. Square D® Lean Tools is a collection of Web calculators that allow users to estimate potential energy savings to be gained by implementing various energy efficiency solutions offered by the company.
PowerLogic® Ion® products provide tools to help businesses control the cost, quality and reliability of their power.
“Everyone is faced with rising energy costs and concerns for the environment. Add to that new mandates and incentives as a result of the Energy Policy Act of 2005, and there are significant reasons to implement energy efficiency solutions to reduce energy consumption,” said Cassandra Quaintance, manager of Schneider Electric’s Energy Market Segment group.
The site, www.squaredleantools.com, hosts step-by-step product-specific calculators. The main screen allows the user to preview the individual product features to understand how each can benefit the application. The user can then create a customized program that will calculate the potential energy savings of implementing one or more of the solutions at their facility.
“Whether a user requires Square D advanced metering systems to monitor and assess energy consumption or is looking to examine the benefits of an advanced lighting control system, Schneider Electric provides comprehensive, intelligent responses to manage energy challenges,” Quaintance said. “And now, thanks to the Lean Tools Web site, a user can get the necessary information to determine the potential ROI of such projects.”
The site currently contains five calculation tools:
- A lighting control energy efficiency calculator that allows the user to calculate the savings that can be recouped by installing the company’s lighting control systems. In commercial buildings, lighting often accounts for more than 30 percent of the total electrical energy consumed.
- A transformer calculator that allows the user to calculate the savings realized by installing energy efficient transformers. A typical model will see a payback in three to five years at $.075 per kwh, compared to non-TP1 compliant models.
- A drives calculator that determines the cost savings when using adjustable frequency drives instead of operating AC motors with constant speed, a key factor with the rising cost of energy. Schneider Electric has provided adjustable frequency drive solutions for pumping applications for more than 30 years.
- The Square D PowerLogic® calculator, a power monitoring and control system that gives users the information needed to save money on utilities and other hidden costs of operating a facility. The meters and monitors in the PowerLogic system have an average payback period of six months and an average payback of 200 percent.
- Square D AccuSine® Power Correction System (PCS), which is designed to correct for harmonics and poor displacement power factor. By entering the information in this calculator, the program defines the amount of corrective current to be provided by the AccuSine PCS to meet the objective.
Quaintance said additional calculators are planned for the site, including building automation and control.