• High-capacity, environmentally sustainable solution offers key benefits for low impact development
PORTLAND, ME, May 27, 2009 -- Hydro International, a leading provider of environmentally sustainable products and innovative solutions that control and treat stormwater, wastewater and combined sewer overflows, has announced the introduction of its heralded Stormbloc™ below-ground, stormwater infiltration and harvesting system to the North American market.
Stormbloc, a columnar block-type structure that facilitates soil infiltration in a cost-effective, environmentally sustainable manner, has solved issues of excessive stormwater discharge in thousands of applications worldwide over the past decade. It has undergone extensive testing, and is now available for use in the United States for the first time.
The Hydro Stormbloc offers a wide variety of benefits for engineers, municipalities and contractors looking for better Low Impact Development (LID) stormwater management options or seeking the US Green Building Council's LEED® certification. Benefits include the following:
• The ability to be used for stormwater storage, infiltration or harvesting and reuse.
• A 95 percent porosity enables it to be used to economically increase the treatment capacity of swales, biofilters and permeable pavers when used underneath.
• Integral inspection tunnels prevent siltation and blockages while allowing complete access to the interior of the blocks
• An integral Stormbloc™ Inspect is incorporated for easy tunnel access, allowing inspection and flushing of the entire subsurface storage volume.
• Modular components allow engineers to design a system with virtually any pipework orientation of any size, shape depth or configuration to circumvent obstructions such as trees and rock outcrops.
• High vertical and horizontal strengths, giving it the ability to be installed where other plastic storage media cannot, including under parking lots, public open spaces, landscaped areas, gardens, tennis courts and playing fields.
• No block assembly is required onsite, facilitating simple and rapid installation.
• Weighing only 25 to 40.5 pounds, the blocks are safe to handle and easy to install.
"Developers and engineers trying to incorporate sustainable, LID-related approaches into surface water drainage systems have had little choice beyond 'soft' solutions such as swales and biofilters, which are prone to uncertainties about maintenance, responsibility and adoption," said David Mongeau, General Manager of Hydro International's US Stormwater business. "Stormbloc offers a proven, reliable, cost-effective system for managing surface discharge when used alone or in conjunction with plant-based solutions. It is easy to install, easy to inspect and maintain, and efficient, providing a true, next-generation solution for stormwater control."
Hydro International plc is a global supplier of environmentally sustainable products and innovative solutions that control and treat stormwater, wastewater and combined sewer overflows, utilizing award-winning advanced vortex and complementary technologies.