The Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago (MWRD) is accepting applications from Cook County individuals and organizations for its Biosolids Beneficial Reuse and Sustainable Landscaping awards until September 20, 2022.
The awards recognize the activities and innovations from entities such as park districts, villages, schools, golf courses, athletic clubs and businesses in the above two separate categories.
Exceptional Quality (EQ) biosolids and biosolids compost are a product of the MWRD’s water treatment process that are used as soil amendments and a sustainable alternative to other materials. The Biosolids Beneficial Reuse award may be demonstrated through any one or a combination of the following:
- Continuous commitment to maximize the use of EQ biosolids or compost to improve the cost-effectiveness of landscape management.
- Promotion such as, but not limited to, referrals and field demonstrations of EQ biosolids or compost.
- Educational efforts on the environmental/economic benefits of using EQ biosolids or compost.
Qualifications for the Sustainable Landscaping award may be demonstrated through the innovative use of green infrastructure, capital investment, and other sustainable practices in the environment that manages stormwater or educational efforts for promoting green landscaping to the community. For the purpose of the award, green infrastructure includes:
- Rainwater Harvesting, i.e. through rain barrels
- Rain Gardens
- Native Landscaping
- Stormwater Trees
- Porous Pavement
- Green Roofs
- Green Alleys, Streets, and Parking Lots
Activities completed after January 1, 2017 are eligible for an award, and an individual or organization is eligible once every five years. Submittals should include figures, illustrations, narrative, and photos to help further explain the efforts. The evaluation process may include a site visit.
This year’s awards applications will be accepted electronically here.
Those that have difficulty using the electronic form can email [email protected] to request a print version by email.